Wednesday, February 19, 2014

In Memoriam February 19th

1566 John Loomis will in Commissary Court of London (Essex & Herts), Somerset House, London:
In the name of God amen.  The 19 day of February in the year of our lord 1566.  I John Loomis of Thaxted in ye County of Essex carpenter being of perfect and whole of mind thanks be given to almighty God, do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following that is to say
First, I bequeath my soul unto the hands of almighty God my maker and redeemer and my body to be buried in the churchyard of Thaxted aforesaid.
Item I give unto the poremés box there 4.
Item I give and bequeath unto Kyrstyne my wife my house with a garden plot there unto belonging during her natural life and after her decease, I will the said house with garden to be sold and equally divided among all my children and if any of them die I will that pay which shall remain to have it among them.
Item I give unto my wife all my debts and movables whatsoever they be out of which I will she shall pay to every one of my children ____ 4 d. in five years beginning at the eldest first and so forth unto the last.
Item I give unto Krysten my wife all my other goods not bequeathed to pay my debts with and to bring my body in to the earth whom also I ordain and make my myn Exectrix with Robert Almon the elder, and I will that he shall have for his pains 6s 8d.
These being witnesses John Button, William Clarke and Robert P[ar]ker the writer hereof. Proved at Stortford May 12, 1567
1843 Jacob Goodnight age 76 in Lincoln Co., KY.  He was the son of Michael & Mary (Landis) Goodnight born in Mecklenburg Co., NC ca. 1767.  His family moved to Kentucky where his father and older brothers were killed by Indians in 1781.  He married Elizabeth Hoover in 1792 and they had seven children:  Polly, John, Elizabeth, Henry, Isaac, Thomas and Margaret.  

No comments: