Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Samuel Hocker's Will

I, Samuel Hocker of Lincoln County and State of Kentucky being perfectly in possession of my senses and recollection do make, ordain and declare this my last will & testament in manner and form as follows (that is to say)

1st It is my will that my executors pay all my just debts.

2nd I lend my beloved wife Nancy Hocker during her life that part of my tract of land lying north east of McKinney’s Creek to include my dwelling house and all the land lying on the same side of the creek whereon my dwelling house stands.  I also lend her during her life the following negroes (viz) Abram, Rachel & Beck together with two of my first shouse horse beasts, that may be among my stock at my decease, also two good feather beds & furniture, one half of my crop of every description, one third of all kinds of my stock except my horses.  The one third part of my household & kitchen furniture, the whole of y farming utensils and my wagon and gears all of which I lend my wife during her life and at her death to be disposed of a shall be directed in this my last will.  I give and bequeath my wife Nancy Hocker fifty dollars in cash.


3rd I give and bequeath to my son Joseph Hocker all that part of my tract of land lying north east of McKinney’s creek to include my dwelling house and all my land lying on the same side of said Creek whereon my dwelling house stands which said land he shall go into the possession of at his mother’s decease and not before.  I also give to my son Joseph Hocker a part of my land lying on the south west side of McKinney’s Creek bounded & described as following:

Beginning on a white oak marked H standing on the branch of said Craig; thence measuring a strait course south my corn field fence and also with the road leading to Peyton Well to a large white walnut standing near said road and marked thus (H) thence running through said field nearly at right angles until it strikes the first hollow or draft about thirty feet above a small forked cherry tree standing in said draft near a fence & marked with three chops one each side thence with said fence to my meadow fence at a stake, thence with the meadow fence bearing up the creek to a stake standing about twenty feet above a beech tree marked thus (5) thence east running round said fence to a beech tree marked thus (6) thence continuing the same course to McKinney’s creek and north with the creek to the beginning.  I also lend to my son Joseph Hocker the residue of my tract of land lying south west of McKinney’s Creek until the death of my wife and then to be disposed of as shall be hereafter directed.  I likewise give to my son Joseph Hocker two negroes namely Celia & Cloe, as also one fifth part of my crop of every description. 

4th I give and bequeath to my son John Hocker all that part of my tract of land I possess on the side of the creek where my son John Hocker now resides except the part above described and given to my son Joseph Hocker never the less he shall not into the possession of the same until the death of his mother.  I also give to my son John Hocker one negro boy named Squire.

5th I give to my daughter Polly Hocker three negroes namely Jenny, Richmond and Abba.

6th I give to my daughter Nancy Hocker four negroes named Rose, Melissa, Cerilda & Caroline.

7th. I give to my daughter Betsy Helm one negro girl named Hunney.

8th I give to my son Richard Weaver Hocker one negroe girl named Maria.

9th I give to my son Philip Hocker one negroe girl named Mahala.

10th I give to my granddaughter Nancy Hocker daughter of my son Jacob Hocker deceased ten dollars.  It is my desire that all that part of my estate lent my wife as also all that is not expressly willed away be equally divided among all my childred except my son John Hocker, who I think sufficiently provided for in this my last will.  And lastly I constitute and appoint my sons Philip Hocker & Joseph Hocker Executors to this my last will.  Given under my hand & seal this 6th day of December 1813.

Samuel Hocker {seal}

Signed, sealed & Delivered in presents of
William Moore
George Duncan

Jesse Walker

No comments: