Monday, October 20, 2014

George Hocker's Will

In the name of God amen, I George Hocker of the county of Lincoln & state of Kentucky being of sound and disposing mind and memory and knowing that in the course of nature I must die before the expiration of many years do make & ordain this my last will and testament in manner & form following to wit:

Item 1st I will & direct my executors hereinafter named pay all my just debts out of my property I may die possessed of real, personal and mixed.

Item 3 [sic] – all the residue of my property of every description whatever I will and devise to my beloved wife Nancy Hocker for and during her natural life to use and manage as she thinks proper, and to sell any of the personal property that may be necessary for her comfortable support and at her death it is my will that all property belonging to my estate that may be remaining in the possession of my said wife and all my land shall be sold at public sale to the highest bidder on such credit as my surviving Executor may think proper and the proceeds equally divided among my children now living to wit: Owen Hocker, Newton Hocker, George Hocker, Joseph Hocker, Richard Weaver Hocker and Julia Ann Waters the wife of Joseph Waters and Mary E. Hocker and Sarah Ann Kirtland the ___ wife of John Kirtland to them and their heirs forever.

It is further my will that my granddaughter Eleanor Ann Mudd have no part of my estate I having advanced her mother & my daughter Artemesa Mudd on her marriage by giving her a negro girl named Caroline.

To my daughter Emily Young’s children to wit Louisa Runyon the wife of ---- Runyon, William Young and Julia Ann who has married a man whose name I do not know I give no part of my estate I having advanced their mother in her lifetime by the gift of a negro girl named Lorenda.

Item 3rd It is my will that my daughter Mary E. Hocker shall have a home with her mother on my farm as long as she shall remain single and also that my son Owen shall live on said farm with his mother as long as they can agree to live together. 

I do hereby nominate constitute& appoint my beloved son in law John Cash & my son Owen Hocker Executor & Executor of this my last will & testament giving my sd. Executor who may be living at the death of my wife or the administrator with the will ______ full power to convey my land by deed or otherwise to the purchaser thereof.  In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand & affixed my seal this 1st day of March 1854.

George Hocker {seal}

Signed, sealed and acknowledged in presence of
John L. Ballinger
W.H.H. Hocker

Hugh L. Lewis

The portion in italics proves that Michael Young's first wife was Emily Hocker.

No comments: