Monday, June 15, 2020

Ahnentafel #870 - Philip Fox

Philip Fox aka Philip Fuchs

Born: between 1725 & 1730 most likely in Germany
Died: 1796 Rowan Co., NC

Buried: Probably at Bethany United Church of Christ Cemetery, Davidson Co., NC, no stone identified

Married: ca. 1749 Amalia Catherina Rosenboom may have married in Germany, Holland or Philadelphia

Religion: member of St. Michael's Lutheran Church, Germantown, Philadelphia, PA

Records:
1750, Aug. 15 - Philadelphia, PA - a Philips Fuchs arrived in Philadelphia on the HMS Royal Union from Rotterdam

1750 - Philadelphia Township, Philadelphia Co., PA - A Philip Fuchs appears on census index

1759 - Plumstead Township, Bucks Co., PA - map of the township shows Philip owning 150 acres

1787 - Philadelphia, PA - Philip Fuchs appears on tax list

1774 - July 24 - Bern Church, Berks Co., PA - the following appear on the church roll:
  • A. Fuchs
  • Philip Fuchs
  • Philip Fuchs & wife
1775 - Plumstead Township, Bucks Co., PA - tax list
  • Philip Fox, 2 horses, 5 cattle, 6 sheep, £3, 6s rate, 150 land, 6 rent, £3, 12s rate, £6 whole rate, 9s rate
1776 - May 13 - Berks Co., PA - Philip Fox appears on list of petit jury of a court of Oyer & Terminer

1776-1781 - Plumstead Township, Bucks Co., PA - Philip Fox served in American Revolution, a private 

1778 - Plumstead Township, Bucks Co., PA - Philip Fox £2, 5s

1778 - July 17 - Plumstead Township, Bucks Co., PA - Philip Fox, Sr. took oath of allegiance same day as John Grove & Casper Johnson

1779 - Earl Township, Lancaster Co., PA - a Philip Fox on tax list, freeman and single, probably a relative 

ca. 1782 - Philip moved his family south to Rowan County, NC

1784 - Dec. 5 - Rowan Co., NC - a Philip Fox land grant #1863 for 240 acres on Brushy Fork of waters of Abbots Creek

Beginning the southwest corner of said Fox's homestead lot, run east into said lot 49 chains, thence south 49 chains to Robert Deal's line, thence west said line 49 chains, thence north 49 chains to beginning. 

1785 - Anecdote written by Rev. Paul Henkel:

Arrived at Salem [NC], inquired about vestry and officers of the German churches, learned of one of the elders of the first Congregation at Ebert's Creek, viz: Philip Fuchs. He received me amiably and made announcements for the coming Sunday.  There I preached to a large gathering of German & English who showed themselves grateful.  

1785 - Feb. 5 - Rowan Co., NC - a Philip Fox land grant #1849 for 400 acres on waters of Schaef's Waters of Muddy Creek:

Beginning corner of Henry Hooser's lot east 69 chains, thence south to and with Henry Sourg's line 50 chains, thence west 20 chains, thence south 11 chains, thence west 49 chains, thence north to beginning. Ten pound per hundred acres was paid for the land.  

1786 - Nov. 10 - Rowan Co., NC 

5:25 jury for grand & petit juries for next court - Jacob Fox, Philip Fox - these could be the sons

1788 - February - Rev. Paul Henkel wrote the following about his work in North Carolina:
 
.  . . about twelve miles from old Mr. Herman with whom I was staying at the time. After several days I was requested to preach a funeral sermon by an Englishman named Ward for a negro woman who died on him several months previous.  The old father Philip Fuchs, elder of the Congregation rode along to the place; also Valentine Herman, father of Herman's son and his daughter Margaret, both unmarried.  It rained heavily, after the sermon was ended we set out on the return journey. We had to cross three streams. At the first creek we got through without swimming. When we arrived at the other one it had over flowed its banks, there we stopped. Our Valentine took his horse and swam over and returned again. He gave me the same horse and took mine which I had borrowed. He said that when I dismount I can swim. Fuchs went in first. 
His animal practically swam away with him. Margaret was beside him and I was third. Everything seemed to go well to the middle of the stream. There Margaret's horse wanted to yield to the stream and go along. Margaret was scared and pulled the bridle. The animal could not swim and sank until it wen down entirely and Margaret wend down almost to the arms. The old father Fuchs was so near that he could reach her. When the horse reached the bottom he sprang out of the water and snorted, blowing water out of his nose. The saddle turned and Margaret would have fallen off had not the old man held her on.  I could not follow to help. The old man had her by one hand, she caught him by the neck. As she was big and heavy he had enough to do to hold himself. I dismounted from my horse and waded in until I caught a small tree with the left hand. I was in the water up to my shoulders. I had to loosen her hand while I was still in the water. Then I pulled all in and got them all out of the water. Valentine then swam over without trouble.  

1792 - July 23 - Rowan County, NC - Philip wrote his will:

In the name of God Amen, the 23rd day of July AD 1792, Philip Fox of Rowan County & State of N. Carolina being sick and weak in body but of perfect mind & memory, thanks be to God.   Therefore calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, do make & ordain this my last will and test:  (that is to say primarily) & first of all I give & recommend my soul to God & my body to the earth to be buried in a Christian like manner at the discretion of my executors hereafter named.  Nothing doubting but at the general resurrection I shall receive the same again through the mighty power of God.  And as touching such worthy state wherewith it had pleased God to bless me in this life, I give, devise & dispose of in the following manner & form

Imprimis it is my will & I do order that in the first place all my just debts & Funeral expenses be paid & satisfied out of my moveable estate.

Item I give & bequeath to my beloved son Jacob Fox the sum of fifty pounds to be paid out of my moveable estate.

Item I give & bequeath to my beloved son Philip Fox the sum of forty pounds to be paid out of my moveable estate.

Item I give & bequeath to my beloved daughter Susannah the wife of John Grove the sum of twenty seven pounds, ten shillings to be paid out of my moveable estate.

Item I give & bequeath to my beloved daughter Mary Koster's (?) five children, five cows & five calves, to be paid to them out of my moveable estate to each of them a cow & calf when they come of age.

Item I give & bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth the wife of Wintel Hinckel the sum of twenty seven pounds ten shillings to be paid out of my moveable estate.

Item I give & bequeath to my beloved son John Fox, the whole of my homestead plantation whereon I now dwell, lying in the county aforesaid on the waters of Muddy Creek including six hundred & fourty acres as appears by my two grants from the Secretary office of said State to remain to my said son John Fox and to his heirs & assigns forever.  I also give to my son John Fox the whole of my moveable estate, that I have not yet mentioned; provided that he procures for my well beloved wife Amelia, such a maintenance as she shall be satisfied with, during the time as she remains my widow, and upon his neglecting to provide as aforesaid I order that she shall have the use of my estate during the time she remains my widow.

And lastly, I do constitute & appoint Amelia my well beloved wife & my son John Fox my only & sole executors & I do hereby revoke & _____ all & every other former will by me before this time named, written & bequeathed, ratifying & confirming this & no other to be my last will & test.  In further testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal the day & year first herein above written.

Philip Fox (seal)

Signed, sealed in presence of
Adam  Lepmaman
Lorenz Unger
Henry Davis

1796 - Rowan Co., NC - Philip's estate went to probate - proved by Lawrence Ungler, Amelia Fox relinquished right as executor and John Fox qualified as executor

Children: 
Jacob b. 1750, d.1834 md. ca. 1774 Martha Huddleston
  • Mary Ann b. 1775 md. James Gill
  • Philip b. 1777
  • Susanah b. 1778 md. A. McAdary
  • Sarah b. 1780, d. 1833, md. ca. 1800 Leonard Strait
  • Henry b. 1782 md. Jane Hartness
  • William Jackson b. 1785, d. 1867
  • Huldah b. 1787
  • Amelia b. 1789 md. Thomas Gibson
  • Martha b. 1791 md. (--?--) McElhanny
  • Jacob b. 1795 md. Priscilla Ellis
  • Nathan Huddleston b. 1797 d. 1874 md. Fannie Cooper
Anna Catherina b. 1753
Mary b. ca. 1754 md. (--?--) Koster
Philip b. 1757 md. Mary (--?--)
John b. 1758 md. 1783 Catherine Hinkle 
  • Elizabeth b. 1785
  • Philip b. 1786
  • Amelia b. 1788 md. 1808 1) Benjamin Eaton, md. 1834 2) William Coker, children: Peter Eaton, John Eaton, Joseph Eaton, Benjamin Eaton, Catherine Eaton, Grace Eaton, Simeon Eaton, Jacob Eaton, Philip Eaton
  • Charles b. 1790 md. 1819 Patsy Whitaker
  • Mary b. 1792
  • Jacob b. 1795
  • Margaret b. 1797
  • Susannah b. 1798
  • John b. 1802
  • Lidia b. 1805
Elizabeth b. 1762, d. 1849 md. 1783 Wendel Hinkle
  • Mary Magdalena b. 1785, d. 1844 md. Jesse Beck, children: John, James
  • Philip b. 1786, d. 1865 md. 1812 Martha Reid, children: Jackson, James
  • Anthony b. 1788, d. 1806, never married
  • John Henry b. 1791, d. 1858 md. 1819 Elizabeth Newkirk, children: Margaret Ann, Jacob Wilton, Mary Elizabeth, Samuel Milton, Elias, Sarah Emily, Harriet Louise, William Ritchie, John Wesley, Amanda Catherine, Ruel, daughter
  • Amelia b. 1793, d. 1868 md. 1813 James Mayfield, son William 
  • Elizabeth b. 1796, d. 1854 md. Thomas Robins
  • Margaret b. 1797, d. 1840 md. Samuel Miller
  • Rev. Nathan b. 1799, d. 1870 md. Elizabeth Reid, children: Julia Ann, John Mortimer, Benson Coke, William Smith, Dr. James Reid, Louisa Jane, Sarah Elizabeth, Emma Catherine, Thomas Emory
  • Susan b. 1802, d. 1897 md. 1) Elisha Bedwell & 2) R. Davidson
  • Sarah (twin) b. 1805, d. 1887 md. Rev. James Harvey, children: Francis, Martha
  • Martha (twin) b. 1805, d. 1880 md. James Reid
  • Katherine b. 1807, d. 1835 md. John Miller
Sarah b. ca. 1764 md. (--?--) Boyd
Maria b. ca. 1766
Huldah b. ca. 1768
William b. ca. 1770

No comments: