Sunday, October 19, 2014

Beware Those Who Would Quirk & Rogue

John Morehead vs. James Dennison in Chancery Court, Fauquier County, Virginia, 1793.

The Deposition of Antony Hailey

Being Duly Sworn According to Law


This Deponent says that he and James Denison went to the house of John Morehead and after some small stay at Mr. Moreheads James Denison asked Morehead if they could not settle between themselves or he would leave the settlement to his son John Morehead and abide by what John Morehead should do in the settlement, then Mr. Morehead absolutely refused for to let his son make the settlement but says James I will tell you what I will do with you I will give you two thousand weight of tobacco and be at quits.  Then James Denison told him that he would not take it, to this Morehead said that he was willing to leave it to be arbitrated between Captain Shakeford and Colonel Triplet to which Denison said he was willing.  But Morehead said to Denison now James since it is left to the law I will open your eyes for I will quirk and rogue all I can.  You may do the same so let the hardest fend off to which Denison replyed I shall not quirk nor quivocate nothing about it.  All that I want is my right and my right I will have if the law will give it me.  Farther this deponent says not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am the 6th great grandson of James Dennison

Dedpepl said...

Nice to meet you!