Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Nicholas Hocker's Will

In the name of God amen, I Nicholas Hocker of Lincoln County being of sound mind and in perfect possession of my senses and recollections do make, ordain and declare this my last will and testament in manner and form as follows, / to wit /

1st It is my will that all my just debts be paid.

2nd I leave to my beloved wife Sarah Hocker during her life two thirds of the plantation where on I now reside together with three negroes namely Frank, William, James also the whole of my stock and crop, house hold furniture and farming utensils that may be on my plantation at my decease and third of my stock of hogs excepted and at her my wife’s death to be disposed of as shall be expressed and directed in this my last will.

3rd I give and bequeath to my son Phillip Hocker the tract of land whereon he now lives containing eighty acres.  I also give him thirty acres of land it being part of a tract of land of one hundred and twenty eight acres which was patented in my name as assignee of Benjamin Logan the thirty acres of land to be laid of[f] as follows:

Beginning at a white oak corner tree marked H and standing near Phillip Hocker’s fence thence a straight line up the side of the knob to the corner thence with the back line for quantity so as to fix the thirty acres in as good form as the nature of the case will admit of but with the special reservation that my son Alford Hocker shall enjoy and possess one third of the above land given my son Phillip Hocker during the life of my wife Sarah Hocker and no longer at which time the whole of the above land to be completely vested in my son Phillip Hocker and his heirs forever.


4th I give to my daughter Margaret Dunn wife of Benjamin Dunn one negro woman named Cloe together with all the children and increase they being now in the possession of said Dunn.

5th I give to my daughter Mary Clements the plantation they now live on as also all the tract of land I purchased of Rebeckah Wilson.

6th I give to my daughter Dorcus Hocker wife of Phillip Hocker fifty and one a half acres of land it being the place whereon they now live.

7th I give to my son Alford Hocker one negro man named Alexander also all the land I possess in this county except so much as is already disposed of in this my last will subject never the less to the above mentioned incumberances that is to say that his mother shall have the free and uninterrupted possession of two thirds of the land given to my son Alford Hocker during her life.  I also give to my son Alford Hocker one feather bead and furniture / second choice / likewise two hundred dollars cash to be paid by executors out of the proceeds of the money arising from the sale of my personal estate.  I also give him one third of my stock of hogs.

8th It is my will and desire that the three negroes lent my wife as also all the moveable property be at her death sold to the highest bidder and after paying my son Alford Hocker two hundred dollars be equally divided among all my children viz: Margaret Dunn, Phillip Hocker, Nicholas Hocker, George Hocker, Mary Clements, Dorcas Hocker and Alford Hocker and lastly I constitute and appoint my sons Phillip Hocker, Nicholas Hocker, George Hocker and Alford Hocker executors of this my last will.  Given under my hand and seal this 21st day of July 1812.

The words / his life / inserted before signed.

Nicholas [his X mark] Hocker {seal}

Signed in the presents of
William Hays
Hugh Hays Sen.
Jesse Walker

Kentucky Lincoln County Sct.
---- County Court held for said County of Lincoln ----  --- the 8th day of March 1813 The last will and testament of Nicholas Hocker deceased was exhibited in court and proven by the oaths of Hugh Hays and Jesse Walker two of the subscribing witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded.  And on the motion of Phillip Hocker, George Hocker and Alford Hocker three of the executors named in the said will who made oath and executed bond in the penalty of three thousand dollars with Richard Green and William Magill their security ordered that a certificate be granted them for obtaining a probate of the said will --- --- form and it is ordered that Nicholas Hocker the other executor named within said will ----- ----- to qualify at a future period should he ---- proper so to do.


Test. Henry Helm CLCC

No comments: