Tuesday, March 18, 2014

In Memoriam March 18th

1822 I Charles Morgan of Muhlenberg County and State of Kentucky, being in good health and sound mind but well understanding the certainty of death do make and ordain this my last will and testament as followeth towit  My will and desire is that all my just debts be faithfully paid out of the debts due to me of judgments obtained in my name and for my benefit of sales of lands made and may yet be made by my several agents.  But in case a sufficientcy cannot be procured in good time out of the above described means then to make sale of some of my most saleable lands in the upper counties which my agents can point out.  I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth Morton during her life time then to be the property of her heirs equally, five hundred acres of land, the 200 acres which purchased of John Hopkins and assigned to her.  And the 200 acres that I purchased of Matthew Williams to be a part.  The other 100 acres to be taken off the most Southward part of George Lovelace’s additional claim which 500 acres of land is to be a part of her portion of lands.  Also my negro woman Phyllis and her future increase. 
Whereas I give unto my daughter Anne Morehead, dec’d. a Negro Woman named Sall and her increase and by agreement with Armistead Morehead all their children are provided for in Negroes except their sons Charles and Alfred.  I therefore give and bequeath unto said Charles and Alfred four hundred dollars’ worth of land each to be as conveniently situated as cases will admit of which land is to be considered as a part of their Mothers portion lands.
I give and bequeath to my son Willis my Negro Man named Simon which with the 400 acres of land which I transferred to him lying near to Russellville I consider to be sufficient for his share of Negroes.  I give and bequeath to my son John my Negro man James which with my Negro man Allen that I gave him I consider sufficient for his portion of Negroes.  And for the use of money that I could not make it convenient to pay to him in due time.  And for services rendered I give to him my wagon and hindgear.  Also the following boundary of land, (towit) Beginning on Pond River at such a distance above John Littlepages corner in Eppes Littlepages line that to run parallel to said Eppes Littlepages line will include to John Morgan one pole west from the mouth of the Spring branch which spring is convenient to the Cabin that Stephen Downing and also Frances Heard lived in and to continue said line to a line of George Lovelace’s Survey.  Also another slip of land to begin at the corner to be made in George Lovelaces line.
I give and bequeath to my daughter Rosannah for her use, possess and enjoy during her natural life then to descend and be the property of all her children My Negro woman named Hannah and her increase also my negro boy named Reuben.  Also the house and adjacent buildings where I am now living together with so much land as will amount to half the valuation of the connexion of claims on which I am now living after the 500 acres is laid off to Elizabeth Morton and the 2 small pieces to John Morgan  also first choice of my horse kind, also 3 cows and calves, 4 sheep, one sow and pigs, the bed and furniture which her Mother gave to her and what bedding and furniture which she hath procured by her own industry also so much of other household and kitchen furniture as the other children was furnished with when they commenced  housekeeping, also choice of beehives. 
I give and bequeath to my daughter Lucinda my negro woman named Charlotte and her increase also my negro girl named Sylvia and her increase also so much land as will amount to half the valuation of the connexion of claims on which I am now living after the 500 acres is laid off to Elizabeth Morton and the 2 small pieces to John Morgan.
I do direct that Rosannah and Lucinda by their representatives William Tapp and Baxter D. Townes endeavor to divide said land and if they cannot agree then I appoint John Morgan, Colo. William Martin, William Oates, Esq., James Irvin, Esq. Charles Summers and Valentine Whitmer or any three of them to make the division.  Also six head of sheep because she hath not had any sheep or hogs.  And be it understood that the lands bequeathed to my daughters Elizabeth, Rosannah and Lucinda is to be considered as a part of their portion of lands.
I do direct that all my moveable property that is not bequeathed be sold on reasonable credit. That collecting be made on the Judgments obtained, suits at issue, monies due to me and to become due. 
Sales of lands made and to be made by my agents William Sudouth, Fielding Bradford, Humphrey Marshall, William Mountjoy, William P. Fleming, Achilles Sneed, Thomas Triplett and Benjamin S. Chambers with part of which to pay all my just debts and then patent my land claims. 
Whereas my son William when a youth by imprudence destroyed his constitution which produced the nervous affliction and rendered him incapable of managing for himself My will and desire is that it be contrived that he return this quarter again and that he be boarded with some person in good circumstances.  And of good character with whom he would be staisfyed to live with And that he be furnished with good clothing which boarding and clothing be paid for out of my estate and in particular of the property to be sold.  And the collections to be made as above stated. And should he incline to work at his trade that he be furnished with suitable tools to have the use of them so long as he will or can use them.  And what he shall earn by his labour not to go towards his boarding or clothing.  And my will and desire is that my lands and money to be collected that is not here in disposed of be equally and equitable divided among all my children that the four children owned by my son William be entitled to his share.  And the children of my daughter Anne Morehead dec’d. be entitled to her share.  In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this ____ day of ____ 1822. 
Charles Morgan (seal)
Be it remembered and hereby understood that since signing the above described will I sold my negro woman Charlotte to Baxter D. Townes and reserved payment therefore as an equivalent.  Therefore I give and bequeath to my daughter Lucinda 200 acres of land lying in Livingston county on the waters of the Pigeon Roost fork allowing her the privilege of making choice of the claim granted to John Dickey or John Steele to enjoy it during her lifetime then to be the property of her children.  I do hereby appoint my son John and Baxter D. Townes executors of this my last will and testament.  In testimony whereof I have again set my hand and and seal this 18th day of March 1822.
Charles Morgan (seal)
Signed, sealed and acknowledged in the presents of Will D. Allison / Willson, Will Pollard, Ch. A. Wickliffe, John Byrd, Wm. Bell.
Muhlenberg County
July County Court 1822
The foregoing last will and testament of Charles Morgan deceased was exhibited into court by the executor therein named and proved by the oaths of Will Pollard, Charles Wickliffe and Jno. Byrd subscribing witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded
Ch. F. Wing.
1849 Captain John Powell in Richford, VT age 72, born in 1776 in Stratford, CT he was the son of Rowland & Mary (Janes) Powell.  He married Aurelia Fassett ca. 1810 and they had eight children: Julia, Saphronia, John, Chester, George, James, Henry and William.  At the time of our country declared war with Great Britain, 1812, the people of Richford found themselves face to face with their old enemy, although Vermont was not compelled to take up arms in the common cause.  John and his brother Bradford Powell were then living at the falls.  John was an officer in the customs department, and also kept the only hotel in the place.  This served as a rendezvous or barracks for the soldiers then stationed along the line.  The company, called militia, who volunteered to march in defense of the country, went as far as Platssburgh, the headquarters of the United States forces on the frontier.  They were expected to report for duty on arriving at camp. Some of these brace men, however, thought that too severe, and concluded to wait a little to see if they could not get along without them.  It seemed they did.  John served as town representative several times over his lifetime.  He is buried in the Troy Street Cemetery in Richford, VT.
Casper Hinkle


1850 Casper Hinkle age 88 in Hinkletown, PA the son of Philip & Mary (Johnson) Hinkle was born in 1762 in Pennsylvania.  He is buried in Deep Run Mennonite Church East Cemetery in Bedminster, PA.

Charlotte Lathrop
1867 Marquis D. Speer in Oldham Co., KY at age 51, born in 1815 he was the son of John & Mary (Grove) Speer.  He married Susan Hinkle in 1836 and they had six children: John, Charles, Mary, Sarah, Columbus and Francis.  He is buried in the Speer family cemetery in Floydsburg, KY.


1899 Charlotte (Lathrop) Irwin age 47 in Lawrence Co., IL the daughter of Levi & Louisa (Draper) Lathrop was born in Indiana in 1851.  She married Corbin Irwin in 1872 in Illinois and they had ten children:  Mary, Olive, Otto, Everette, Flora, twins Dora and Cora, Charles, Gertrude and Albert.  Charlotte is buried in Leach Cemetery in Lawrence Co., IL.


1925 William Dietz, age 51 in White Co., IL in the Tri-State Tornado of 1925.  He was born in White Co., IL in 1874 the son of Michael & Fredericka (Probst) Dietz.  William married Ida Caldwell in 1900 and they had five children: Blanche, Virgil, Mary, Edward and Felix.  He is buried in Enfield Cemetery.

1935 John Wilkin age 68, he was born in Orange Co., IN in 1866.  John married Mary Stanley in 1890 and they had a daughter Edna.  John married second Mary Smith and they had six children: Elmer, William, Zula, Russell, Velma and Truman.  He married third Mary Cook and they had a daughter Lucille.

1997 Ethel Gurley, 86, formerly of Wayne City, died 2:50 a.m. March 18, 1997, in the Cottages Alzheimer’s Care Home in Albuquerque, N.M.
She was a homemaker.
Mrs. Gurley was born Feb. 1, 1911, in Wayne County, a daughter of Aaron and Cena (Miller) Hunt.  May 24, 1938, she married Elston Gurley, who died Feb. 21, 1969.
Services will be 10 a.m. Saturday at the Richardson Funeral Home in Wayne City with the Rev. Chuck Smith officiating.  Burial will be in Thomason Cemetery.
Friends may call from 6 to 8 p.m. today at the Richardson Funeral Home in Wayne City.
Mrs. Gurley is survived by one daughter, Betty Lou and Leonard Faraone of Albuquerque, N.M.; one stepdaughter, Rosalie Wagner of Colorado; one stepson Jim and wife Odette Gurley of Louisville, Ky.; nine grandchildren; 14 great-grandchildren; and two sisters, Floy Musser of Kings and Mary Mezo of Amboy.
She was a member of First Christian Church in Wayne City.
Mrs. Gurley was preceded in death by her husband, parents, three brothers and two sisters.

No comments: