Friday, March 14, 2014

In Memoriam March 14th

1681 In the name of God Amen:  I, Benjamin Doggett, minister of Lancaster County, being sick and weake in boddy but of sound and perfect memory, do make this my last will and testament as follows:
1st I bequeath my soul and boddy to God the giver and my boddy to be decently buried before the pulpit in the Chapel Church.
2nd I give unto my eldest son Benjamin Doggett, a hundred and fifty acres of land, beginning at the water side and to run right across from the line that parts me and Thomas Tomson to Jon Cook, and in case he dyes without issue male, then the land to be equally divded with the orchard, between my two sons Richard and William and in case my son Benjamin shall marry before he arrives to ye age of two and twenty, he shall thereby forfeit all his title and interest in said land and the land to be divided as above mentioned.
3rd I give unto my son Richard Doggett, on hundred acres of land and in case he dyes without issue male or marries before he arrives to the age of twenty-two then the land to descent to my son William Doggett the shares . . . without of his share in my personal estate as will purchase him a part of the land to be . . . for him.  sarbts afterward to be bought for him as his estate will admit of.  If sarbts cannot be purchased the Tobb (tobacco) to be disposed of to ye best advantage.
4th I give to my son William Doggett, one hundred acres of land and in case he dyes without issue male or marries before he arrives at the age of twenty-two, then ye land to be divided between my two daughters Jane and Anne Doggett, a part to be purchased for him out of his share in my personal estate the land seated and other parts to be bought for him as his estate will admit of, to ye best advantage, those two hundred acres given my two sons Richard and William to be divided at the discretion of my Executor.
5th I give unto my daughter Jane Doggett in England, twenty shillings and no more because she have been detained from me and is surely provided for.
6th I give unto my daughter Anne Doggett, fifteen thousand pounds of Tobb, six young cows, six breeding sows to be paid for by my 3 sons Benjamin, Richard and William provided she doth not marry before she arrives at the age of eighteen, ye lott to be at two yearly payments, one half the first year and the other half the next year, her name and age to be registered in the book of Christ Church parish and likewise my two sons borne in Virginia, their age you must have from their mother.
7th Because there remains six thousand pounds of Tobb to be paid Mr. Flower and some other lott if the Tobb allowed me by ye parishes and with my sarbts make will not dephrey them, then so much to be should out of my personal estate to be equally divided between my wife and children only debaring my son Benjamin any share amid share in ye cattle because he have good stock of his own.
8th My wife to have her accomondations as long as she continues a widow but if she marries, she shall desert the plantation, my two sons and my daughter Ann to have their accomodation with my son Benjamin till they are capable to live on their own.
9th The pipe stands to be sold for money . . . Sawers to be employed to saw planks to be sold for money to pay Mr. Griggs.
10th My books to be appraised, a great chest to be bought, ye books to be packed up and sent to England to be sold, ye overplus of monies that remains when Mr. Griggs is paid, I give unto my living wife Jane Doggett desiring her to buy mourning ring with this purpose, following more
11th I do constitute and appoint Mr. Shraphoard, Mr. Stimaold (?), Mr. Atkins, Mr. Wilkes ye appraisers of my estate.  Mr. Thomas Marlin, Mr. Joth Mullis executors to this my last will and testament and for their trouble I give unto both my executors 20 to buy the mourning rings.
In witness whereof I have hereunto put my hand and seal fourteenth Day of March in ye year 1681.
Benjamin Doggett
Signed, sealed and delivered in the presence of Job Dabin
St. William Kelly
1920 Everet Smith age 5 the son of John & Sophia (Schmidt) Smith was born in 1914.

No comments: