Monday, March 23, 2015

Research Day - Correction

I spent most of the morning in the basement of the Pulaski County Courthouse in Somerset, Kentucky looking through old deeds, marriage licenses and wills.  And as all good genealogists will tell you, it's best to verify records by checking the originals.  

I had a copied the marriage record for John Dove and Jane Beasley from a book of marriage record abstracts.  I ended up with a marriage date of March 21, 1828.  This date made John 12 and Jane about 10 and made me scratch my head a lot.  

The original record clearly states the following [if I can do this without typos!!]:
This is to certify that the wrights of matrimony was celebrated between John Dove and Jane Beasley on the 23rd day of March 1838 by M. Floyd.
The foregoing certificate of marriage was returned to me as clerk of the Pulaski County Court on the 18th day of March 1839 and same and the same has been duly recorded in my office. Will. Fox, Clk.
 And just so you can see for yourself:
 Marriage Book 1, Part I, p. 142, Pulaski County, Kentucky

So these two are our grandparents and they were about 22 and 20 when they married. This record also eliminates Allen Dove as a possible brother of William. 

From reading other returns recording I found that M. Floyd was Matthew Floyd who called himself a Minister of the Gospel.  He turned in lists of marriages he had performed about once a year to the clerk.

I also came across the original of their son William's first marriage license on page 327 of Marriage Book 1, Part II, Pulaski County, Kentucky:
I hereby certify that William Dove was married to Martha Rainwater on the 18th day of February 1856 at the residence of William Rainwater and Dove was about 18 years old and she was about 17 years of age, both born in Pulaski County, Ky and both then single.  And present John Rainwater and William Henry Meece, John Rainwater and done by William Waddle, MGS.


No comments: