Friday, January 22, 2021

Ahnentafel #1037 - Mary Andrews

Mary Andrews

Born: ca. 1631
Died: after 1700

Buried: unknown

Married: 
1) 1648 William Hodges in Massachusetts
2) ca. 1654/55 Peter Pitts

Records:
1652 - March 13 - Taunton, MA - Mary is mentioned in her father Henry's will:

gives to daughter Mary Hedges, wife of William Hedges, a house and land, with reversionary interest to her son John Hedges, who is to have also a silver cup

1653/54 - Taunton, MA - Mary is mentioned in her mother Mary (--?--) Andrews' will:  "unto my Daughter Mary hodgis my best stammell petticoat which I bought of Edward Case and my cloath gounne and to my soninlaw William hodgis one of the Coslets in my hous." 

1654/55 - March 15 - Plymouth, MA - Mary testified to the correctness of the inventory taken of William Hodges' estate. At the same time she executed deeds to her sons John and Henry Hodges and a prenuptial agreement with Peter Pitts to protect the boys' inheritance:

Bee it known unto all men that I, Mary Hedgis, widow, of the town and plantation of Taunton, within the pattent of New Plymouth, do give out of my estate left me by my husband as followeth. 

Imprimis. I give to John, my eldest sonne, thirty pounds, with my house, home lott and all lands pertaining thereto. 

Item. I give unto Henery, my second son, he sum of thirty pounds, with a parcel of land given me by my father, lying between the Lots of my brother Henry Andrews and John Cobb.

Item. I reserve in my own hands the sum of thirty pounds of my estate to despose thereof as I shall think good. 

Item. I reserve in myne own hand power to despose of my wearing apparrell as I shall think good.

Item. I bind Peter Pitts, in case I make him my husband, to perform the conditions of this my deed of gift, unless the hand of God doe disable him by some extraordinary accident as may fall out, as by his sickness or the like, and this to be judged of by those men whom she shall put in trust and by them to be ordred what shee shall doe if god crosse him.  I intend he shall maynetayne these my two children for the use of their portions I give them, untill they come of age or be otherwise desposed of in marriage.

Item. My intent and will is to make Richard Williams, James Wyate and James Walker my trustees and overseers for the fulfilling of this my deed of gift. March, 15, 1654

Richard Williams, James Wyate, William Pole, Samuel Williams, Peter Pitts [witnesses] 

1692 - June 9 - Taunton, MA - Peter Pitts wrote his will:

Will of Peter Pitts of Taunton he "being Sick of body," dated June 9, 1692. To my son Samuell Pitts that parcel of land by the Mill River that he hath already in possession, being part of that late joining Samuell Waldron his now dwelling house, and twenty acres on the other side of Browns Brook so called, only the privilege of fire wood shall belong to those that inherit my now dwelling house, also I give him all that meadow between that which I have already fenced toward Muddy Cove, and half a purchase right, he paying five pounds to his sister Alce his mother having the use thereof during her life. To my son Peter the other part of that land, barn and orchard joining to Samuell Waldron, the other part of the land on the other side of the highway joining to John Hodges, six acres of land at the head of the aforesaid lot an dall my land at Weniconett and half a purchase right, his mother having the use thereof during her life. To my son Ebenezer my now dwelling house and the home lot belonging to it, being six acres, and the meadow at the South purchase at Secreegancet belonging to the house aforesaid and a half purchase right, he paying five pounds to his sister Alce, his mother having the use thereof during her life. To my daughter Mary, she having received something already, ten pounds more. To my daughter Sarah that land called the paddock and forty acres more belonging thereto as yet not laid out, and a quarter purchase right and a half share of two silver cups, her mother having the use thereof during her life. To my daughter Alce my half share in the old Iron works, a North purchase right, a half share in two silver cups and ten pounds to be paid by her brothers Samuell and Ebenezer. Rest of estate to wife Mary Pitts, whom I make sole executrix, revoking all other wills by me heretofore made. I desire that John Hodges and Henry Hodges be overseers. 

Witnessed by John Pollord, Sam'll X Thresher and Sam'll Waldron, of whom Sam'll Thresher and Sam'll Waldron made oath "in the presence of the their Maj'ties Justices of the peace for the County of Bristoll (m'r Stephen Burton being sick & absent)" before John Saffin at Bristol, Jan. 12, 1692, that said testator was of sound mind, and that said Jn'o Polord did sign as a witness. Entered Sept. 22, 1693 by John Cary Regist'r.

1692/93 - Jan. 9 - Bristol Co., MA - Inventory of the estate of Peter Pitts dec'd taken by John Pollerd and Henry Hodges.  "By virtue of an order of John Saffin Esq'r. I Thomas Leonard Esquire * * have this Day (being the ninth of January) Administered an Oath unto Mary pitts Widdow a very antient & infirm Woman not being able to travile" to this effect that the said inventory was a true account of the estate of her late husband Peter Pitts dec'd. Entered Nov. 28, 1683 by John Cary Regist'r. 

1692/93 - Jan. 12 - Taunton, MA - Mary was named executor of Peter Pitts' estate. 

1700 - Taunton, MA - Mary was listed as an innkeeper.  

Children by William Hodges:
John 
Henry 

Children by Peter Pitts:
Samuel b. 1655, d. 1696 md. 1680 Sarah Bobbit
Mary b. 1657, d. 1727 md. 1686/87 Isaac Hathaway
Peter md. 1702/03 Bethiah Robinson
Sarah 
Alice md. 1703 John Wilbore
Ebenezer b. ca. 1671 d. 1733/34 md. Elizabeth Hoskins

No comments: