Monday, January 18, 2021

Ahnentafel #1034 - Thomas Lovell

Thomas Lovell

Born: ca. 1610
Died: Jan. 2, 1709/10 Ipswich, MA

Buried:

Married: Ann (--?--)

Possibly married twice 1) unknown and 2) Demaris (--?--) Robinson.  I have no idea if this is true. 

Immigrant, but have found no record of his arrival. 

Records:
There are two Thomas Lovell's in the records of Ipswich & Essex County or it's possible that the majority of the Ipswich / Essex County records are really about a Thomas Lovell, a currier [leather dresser], who migrated to New England from Dublin, Ireland ca. 1640.  He appears not to have been married when he migrated.  He had two sons: Alexander b. 1657, d. age 2 and Nathaniel b. 1658, living 1707.  Take all the records below with a grain of salt.

1646 - Salem, MA - Thomas Lovell appeared in the Essex County court at Salem as a witness with Thomas Robins against Peter Sims alias Ford for stealing Indian corn out of the water mill. 

1649 - March 31 - Ipswich, MA - Thomas Lovell & William Pritchett swore an oath that Joseph Fowlar said there were more liars (7 to 8) in the church, "and if one would lye soundly he was fitt for the church."  Fowlar was sentenced to sit in the stocks for 1 1/2 hours. 

1652 - May 7 - Ipswich, MA - a Thomas Lovell acquired a house lot. 

1662 - July 3 - Ipswich, MA - Daniel Warner of Ipswich, husbandman, sold to Thomas Lovell of Ipswich, "meddow about sixteene acres commonly called by the name of west meddowes." 

1663 - Jan. 4 - Ipswich, MA - John Morse sold a house and 1 1/2 acres and adjoining pasture to a Thomas Lovell. 

1665 - April - Ipswich, MA - a Thomas Lovel served on town committee to assign land. 

1668 - Nov. 27 - Ipswich, MA - At a meeting of Selectmen it was ordered that "those that layd out the devissions of Plumb Iland castle neck & hogg Iland, and some wanting lotts, the select men, order that shall alow it them out of the remainder that was not layd out as castle neck, to Thomas Lovell, John Newmarsh, John Ayres, Kill. Ross and any other yt appeare to have a right."

1669 - March 30 - Samuel Graves sued Thomas Lovell and his wife for slander, the case was withdrawn. 

1671 - Ipswich, MA - a Thomas Lovell was fined for not attending church. 

1674 - Ipswich, MA - a Thomas Lovell was fined for not attending church.  It is said that he and Thomas Lovell, Jun., "lived with a few rods of the meeting house. Their neglect was a rank offence, for which they paid a fine."

1674 - Feb. 11 - Ipswich, MA - a Thomas Lovell sold to Jonathan Wade his "right of commonage which now is or hereafter might be due unto me by virtue of the town's grant unto John Hassall." 

1679 - Dec. 2 - Ipswich,  MA - A Thomas Lovel appears on the list of men who are allowed to vote in local elections. 

1682 - Nov. 27 - Ipswich, MA - Citizens of Cape Ann and surrounding area laid claim to land in Ipswich.  "At this juncture, one of the selectmen, Thomas Lovell, had a personal conference with Mr. Mason, and recommended that his demands be recognized. The action of the Town was spirited, and the Record speaks no uncertain sound.

"At a generall Towne meeting this 27 of November 1682. Upon information that Thomas Lovell hath beene with Mr. Mason about compliance . . . being one of the Selectmen a it hath beene made appears that he hath sugested to some as if it were best to comply with him, w'ch is as hath been declared to betray the trust comitted to him. The Towne generally voted to lay the sd. Thomas Lovell asyd & exclud him for being Selectman and Capt. John Appleton was chosen to be a Selectman his roome for the rest of the year." 

1693 - April 11 - Ipswich, MA - John Edwards married Thomas Lovell's daughter Margaret.  At that time, his father, John Edwards bound himself to give his home to the young couple.  Thomas Lovell agreed to give the pasture on the hill back of the house. 

1707/08 - Jan. 10 - Ipswich, MA - Thomas Lovell wrote his will:

In the Name of God Amen. I Thomas Lovell Snr of Ipswich in the County of Essex in ye Province of the Massachusetts Bay in New England being Aged but in good health of Body, & of sound and perfect mind and memory, Prais[e] be Thearfor given to almighty God, do make and Ordain This my Last will and Testament, in manner and form following. (that is to say)

First and Chiefly I commending my soul into ye Hands of almighty God, hoping Through the merit of Jesus Christ, to have full and free pardon of all my sins, and to Inherit Ever Lasting life: And my body I commit to ye Earth to be Decently buryed, as Touching ye Deposition of my outward Estate as it hath Pleased God to bestow upon me, I give and Dispose there of as Followeth, 

Imp'r: I will that my debs and funerall charges be payed and Discharged by my Executor hereafter Named; my will, is, That my Loving and tender wife Ann Lovel shall have if she survive me The use and Improvement of my whole Estate both Reall & personall for her comfortable being and maintenance during her naturall life.

Item I give unto my Eldest son John Lovell and to his wife Elizabeth Lovell The house And Land My son Allexander Lovel bought of Moses Day, with all ye wrights Rossits(?) and Privillages Their unto Appertaining Dureing Their Naturall Lives And after their Decess I Give sd house and Land unto their hayers [heirs] Lawfully begooten of there bodyes.

More I Give unto my son John one sheep which I do Account to him to be A sufficient portion with ye many other Gifts I have frequently bestowed upon him, I Give unto my son Thomas Lovel That hath bin ye Greatest help and support to my Famyly, my Dwelling house and homsted with other housing upon sd homsteed, Excepting my son Allixander Shop with Three Rods of Land in ye Front, From ye Uper end of sd Allexanders Shop next my Dwelling house, unto ye Land of Land of  Samuel Graves, laying by The Street on ye Southest, which sd Three Rods of land From ye Front so bounded as afore sd which may be abought eighteen Rods, I give unto my son Allexander Lovel and his hairs for ever

My Will is That my Son Thomas And Allexander Lovel Shall have all ye Res and Residu[e] of my Lands Lying with in ye Limmits and bounds of ye Township of sd Ipswich or elswhere, Excepting what is above-mentioned To be Equally and indifferently Divided between the and to be to their hairs for ever. 

Item My Daughter Elizabeth Perkins, and my Daughter Margaret Edwards have had Their Portions allready. 

I Give unto my Daughter hannah Dutch Twenty Pounds.

I Give unto my Daughter Mary Dounton Twenty Pounds, which two last Leagacys mentioned are to be payed in pay or in mony with one third abatement. 

Item I give unto every one of my Grandchildren that shall be Living at ye Time yt my will stands in fors [force] to each of them one sheep 

Item All ye Rest and Resideu of my Personall Estat[e] Goods and Chattels whatsoever I do Give and bequeath unto my son Thomas Lovel which I do Appoint and Ordain to be The Full and Sole Executor of This my last will and Testament, Excepting of Tenn Pounds of ye sd Twenty Pounds Given unto my Daughter Dutch, which sd ten pounds I do order and Appoint my son Allexander Lovel to pay unto my Daughter Hannah Dutch out of ye Portion which he Receiveth. 

And I do here by Revoak disanull and make Void all other wills by me heretofore made and for the confirmation of This my last will and Testament I do set to my hand and seal this Tenth day of Janu In the year of our Lord one Thousand six hundred Ninety and seaven;eight 

Thomas Lovel 

Signed sealed & delivered in p'sence of us witnesses Nath'll Knoulton, Edmund Hoard, Nehemiah Jewett 

1710 - Jan. 2 - Essex County, MA - Thomas Lovel probate records No. 17086. His son Thomas Lovell's bond to pay debts and obligations:

Know all men by these presents yt wee Thomas Lovell of Ipswich Comm'er(?) --- principle & Nath'l Knoulton Cordwan'r & John Gaines(?) --- all of Ipswich --- County of Essex in New ENgland are hold on & stand firmly bound unto John Appleton(?) --- Judge of ye Probate of Wills in & for said County In ye full & just sum of two hundred pound Current Money of said province New England to be payd to ye said John Appleton(?) --- Judge aforesaid his --- of sd --- said office --- or Assigne for ye free payment whereof we bind ourselves Each of us our & each of our heirs Ex'ors Adm'rs Joyntly or Severally In ye whole do for ye Whole --- & firmly by these persons(?) sealed with our --- Dated ye 9th Day of January In ye Eighth year of Reigne. 

The Cond's of ye Obligation is --- yt If -- above bound on Thomas Love sole Ex'or of ye Last Will of his father Thomas Lovell Late of Ipswich Dec'd he his heire Ex'or --- or assignes shall well & truly pay all ye Just Debts of ye said Dec'd & all ye Legacies & --- In said Will given In Time[ly] Manner & --- --- Expressed In said Will --- this obligation to be void & of null effort - other wise to above In full power, strength force & ---  Signed Sealed & --- In --- Thomas Lovell [document cut off] 

Children:

Thomas had children by these names, see the will above.  The spouses and children come from the Ipswich Church & Town records and may apply to other Lovells by the same names.  It's quite confusing!

Elizabeth b. ca. 1629 
John b. 1647, d. 1718/19 md. 1689 Elizabeth Pinder
  • John b. 1690 - seems late
  • David b. 1694/05 - seems late
Thomas b. 1649, d. 1718
Hannah b. ca. 1656 md. 1677 Robert Dutch 
  • unnamed child Dutch b. 1668 
  • Robert Dutch b. 1692 
Alexander b. 1657(?), d. 1757(?) md. 1697(?) Elizabeth Sawford 
  • Elizabeth b. 1698/99 - seems late
  • Mary b. 1704
  • Margarett b. 1708 - seems late
  • John b. 1712 - seems late
  • Sarah b. 1716 - late
Nathaniell b. 1658, d. 1659
Margaret d. 1731 md. John? Edwards - no marriage in Ipswich, a John Edwards b. 1659, d. 1723 is buried in the Ipswich Old Burying Ground. 
  • Thomas Edwards b. 1693/94, d. 1694
  • Margaret Edwards b. 1694/95, d. 1698/99

No comments: