Monday, December 9, 2019

Ahnentafel #726 - Richard Cutter

Major Richard Cutter

Born: 13 Nov. 1682 Cambridge, Middlesex Co., MA
Died: 17 Dec. 1756 Woodbridge, Morris, NJ

Buried: Dec. 1756 First Presbyterian Church, Woodbridge, Middlesex Co., New Jersey

Married: 1) Mary Pike 1706 & 2) Marcy Kelsey ca. 1721

Records:
1751 - New Jersey - Militia Roll - A list of the Militia Regiment under the Command of Coll Tho: Ffarmer in the year 1715 -
First Company - Coll Parker Capt., Nathaniel Moore Lt, Rich'd. Cutter, Sgt. Wm. Bingley, Sgt. Jos: Gillman, Sgt. Dan'll Dean, Sgt. Jno. Pike
1756 - Sept. 20 - Woodbridge, Middlesex, New Jersey - Richard wrote his will:
In the name of God Amen the Twentieth Day of September in the Year of Christ one Thousand Seven hundred & fifty Six  I Richard Cutter of Woodbridge in the County of
Middlesex & province of East New Jersey  Being Sick & weak of Body But of Sound & Perfect mind & memory Calling to Mind the Mortality of my body & knowing that it is appointed for all men to Dye Do make & ordain this my Last will & Testament And first I Give & Recommend my Soul to God that Gave it & for my body I Commend it to the Dust to be Buried in a Christian Like & decent manner at the Direction of my Executor Nothing Doubting but I shall Receive the Same again by the Mighty Power of God & as touching such worldly Estate wherewith it hath pleased God to Bless me in this Life I Give Devise & Dispose of the Same in Manner following.
Imprimus it is my will & I Do order that all my Just Debts & funeral Charges be fully Paid by my Executors as Soon as may be Conveniently after my Decease.
Item I Give & Bequeath to my well beloved wife Mercy Cutter the one Equal third part of all the Neat Profit & Income of Both my Grist Mill & Sawmill which she shall have & Enjoy for & During her Natural Life Also I Give to my said wife the one half part of the priveledge use & Benefit of my former Dwelling house at the Cornfield Landing her part to be Taken where she shall Chose & also the Use & Benefit of the One half Part of the Lands & Meadows Lying and Adjoining on the Northerly Side fo the Said Dwelling house & on the North Side of the Road that Goes by the house Bounded westerly by the Lands hereinafter Given to my Son Richard Cutter Northerly by Zebulon Pikes Land Easterly in part by Will'm Cutter's Land & partly by the Great Creek Including the Island of Meadow Lying northerly of Bradly's Creek which Moiety shall Remain to my Said wife During her Natural Life. Also I Give & Bequeath to my wife aforesd One feather Bed & Sufficient Furniture & also the Sum or Value of Fifty pounds of Curr't Money of this province to be Taken out of my Movable Estate in such Particular Things as my wife shall chuse & Being by her Chosen they shall be Prized & Delivered to her by my Executors & shall Remain to her, her heirs & Assigns forever.
Item I Give & Bequeath to my Eldest Son William Cutter the Dwelling house wherein he now Lives Together with a piece of Land whereon it Stands which Land shall Begin at a stake planted in the Line of my Land being Nine Rods westward from the Great Buttonwood Tree that is Near the Southeast Corner of his house from which stake it shall Run Eight Rods north to - Another stake Planted for a corner & from thence Easterly one a Strait Line Parrallell with the front Line Down to the Great Creek & from thence Down the Said Creek as it Runs to the aforesd. front Line where it Joynes to the sd Creek & from thence westerly to the said Line Runs to the first mentioned Stake and also the one Equall half Part of my Grist Mill & Sawmill Including one half of the Stream & all the other priviledges & utensils to the said Mills not Belonging or appertaining And also that Tract of Land on the South Side of the Road opposite my former Dwelling house whereon the Barn & orchard now stands far westward as the Line of the Land I Bought of Elisha Fuller Together with all that Tract of Salt Meadows which I Bought of Zebulon Pike Lying on the South Side of the Last mentioned Land & on the North Side of the Millpond (Excepting one acre & a half of said Meadow to be taken off the westerly End thereof which is hereby Reserved for my Son Richard) And also the one third part of that Lott of land on Strawberry Hill which I Bought of Richard Dole the Said Third part to be taken off the Northerly End of sd Lott Adjoining to Zebulon Pikes Land & also the one Equal this part of my Lott of Land Call'd Ten acres Lying on the South Side of the Creek Call'd Pikes Brook which shall be Divided to him & to his Brother hereinafter mentioned by Lotts Drawn for that purpose & also five acres of Salt Meadows Lying at Raraton on the westward Side of the Meadow call'd Proprietors Meadow & on the North side of the Creek Call'd Abrahams Creek being that Meadow that was Given to my by my father in law John Pike & also the one Equal third part of that Tract of Land which Lyes on & Near the hill formerly call'd Lockhearts hill which belonged formerly Chiefly to John Whitcher with some other additions containing in all about Twenty Seven acres which shall be Divided to him & his Two brothers hereafter named in Quantity & Quality & all abovesaid to Remain to him, his heirs & assigns forever. 
Item I Give & Bequeath to my Son Richard Cutter the house & Land, which I Bought of Elisha Insley & also that one acre & half of Salt meadow Reserved as above to be taken off the westerly End of the Tract I Bought of Zebulon Pike between the Millpond & the upland whereon the Barn stands & Likewise the one Equall third Part of that Lott of Land on Strawberry hill which I Bought of Richard Dole which third part of his shall be taken off the South End of sd Lott & adjoined to his house Lott & also the one Equal third part of that Tract or parcel of Land which Lyes on & Near the hill formerly call'd Lockhearts hill which formerly belonged Chiefly to John Whitcher with other Additions Containing in all about Twenty Seven acres which shall be Divided to him his Two brothers as abovesaid in Quantity & Quality & Likewise the one Equall third part of my Lott of Land Call'd Ten Acres Lying in the South Side of the Brook Call'd pikes Brook which shall be Divided to him & his two Brothers by Lott Drawn for that purpose & also one third part of that fifteen acres Lott of Salt Marsh Lying in Raraton Meadow on the South Side of the Great Creek which shall be taken off the East End of the Lott And also the one Equal half part of my Grist Mill & Sawmill Including one half part of the Stream & all the other privileges & Utensils to the said Mill, Belonging or Appertaining all aforesaid to Remain to him his heirs & assigns forever. 
Item I Give & Bequeath to my Son Joseph Cutter all that Tract of Land Lying on the Easterly Side of the Road that Goes to Metuchin Between the Land of Isaac Tappen & David Evans Containing Near about forty acres Being one Twenty Five acre Lott & a Ten acre Lott Drawn in the Right of John Whitcher & a small addition Taken Up in a Ten pound Right all adjoining together also that Six acre Lott of Salt Meadow Lying on the west Side of the highway that goes from Upland to the Bridge over the houselott Creek in Raraton Meadow all aboves'd to him his heirs & assigns forever. 
Item I Give & Bequeath to my Son Ebenezer Cutter all that my ancient Dwelling house & land & Meadow adjoyning Lying on the North Side of the Road that Goes from Cornfield Landing to ye Amboy Road Bounded westerly by the Lands of my Son Richard Cutter Northerly by Land of Zebulon Pike Easterly on the Great Creek in part & partly by Lands of my son William Cutter together with an Island of meadow Lying on the North Side of Bradlys Creek which I Bought of Coll Elisha parker & also the one third part of that Lott of Land on Strawberry hill which I Bought of Richard Dole his part Shall be bounded southwest on the Road & northeast by the Land of my son Richard Cutter the Division Lines to Lye cross the whole lott parallell with the Line of Zebulon Pikes land Moreover I Give & Bequeath to my abovesaid Son Ebenezer Cutter the one Equal third part of my Lott of Land Called Ten acres Lying on the South Side of the Brook Call'd Pikes Brook which shall be Divided to him & his two Brothers as aforesaid by Lott Drawn for that purpose the Division Lines to Run Paralell with the western most Line of said Lott & also the one third part of that Tract or Parcel of Land which Lyes on & Near the hill formerly call'd Lockhearts hill being the Land which formerly belonged Chiefly to John Whitcher with other Additions Containing in all about Twenty Seven Acres which shall be Divided as abovesaid in Quantity & Quality all Given to my Said son Ebenezer Cutter in this & the above sheet shall remain to him his heirs & assigns forever.
Item I Give & Bequeath to my Son Samuel Cutter the one Equal half part of my Sixty Acre Lott of woodland Lying in Woodbridge Near the place Call'd the Pumpkin Patch the whole being bounded Easterly & westerly by William Browns Land Northerly by the County Line & southerly by the highway his half part Shall be taken off the Easterly Side of the whole Lott which shall be Divided by Number of acres & shall Remain to him his heirs & assigns forever & Likewise my will is that my son Sam'll shall pay to my Son John Cutter the Sum of Ten pounds of Curr't Money of this province within the Space of one year Next after my Decease.
Item I Give to my Son Ephraim Cutter the Residue or westerly half part of my Sixty acre Lott of Woodland Lying Near the Pumpkin patch the whole being Bounded East & west by Will'm Browns Land Northerly by the County Line & southerly by the highway which shall be Equally>n Divided by Number of acres to him his heirs & assigns forever & Likewise my will is that my son Ephraim shall pay to my Son John the Sum of Ten Pounds of Curr't Money of this province within the space of a one year after my Decease and furthermore my will is that my two Sons Samuel & Ephraim Cutter Shall have Occupy and Enjoy all my Priveledge Right & property (which I have & hold by a Lease) in & uppon the plantation that was formerly John Skinners to be by those my two Sons Equally Enjoyed & the Rents & Conditions of & in Said Lease Maintained by them Equally paid & performed According to the Tenor of said Lease as I my Self ought to Do & my Executors to be Discharged from any Manner of Right of having Doing or paying any thing in the Said Lease Mentioned or Intended. 
Moreover I Give to my Son William Cutter all that Lott of Woodland Lying on the North Side of Piscataway Road Containing Twenty acres which was Taken up in the Right of John Whitcher Bounded East by Moses Colliers Land & west by Samuel Comptons Land to Remain to him his heirs & assigns forever
Likewise I further Give to my Son Richard Cutter all that piece of woodland being Twenty acres Bounded Easterly by Alexander Edgars Land southerly by Jonathan Rowlands Land & west by Israel Thornals Land to him his his [sic] heirs & assigns forever.
Moreover my will is & I Do order that my Son William Cutter shall pay to my Daughter Sarah Jaquesh the Sum of five pounds, & To my Daughter Hannah Dennis the Sum of Ten pounds & to my Daughter Esther Marsh the Sum of five pounds all in Curr't Money of this province with the space of one year after my Decease & also my Son Richard Cutter Shall pay to my Daughter Rebecka Cutter the Sum of Twenty Pounds in Curr't Money of this province with the space of one year after my Decease And also my Son Joseph Cutter shall pay to my Daughter Mary Baker the Sum of Twenty Pounds of Curr't Money of this provice within the space of one year all to remain to my abovesaid Daughters and each of them their Heirs & assigns forever. 
And further it is my will and I do order that my three Eldest Sons William Cutter, Richard Cutter and Joseph Cutter shall jointly & equally pay and discharge all my funeral charges the Probate of my Will and all my other just Debts that shall be found due at the time of my decease each of them shall pay a third part of the whole.
And further it is my will and I do Order that if any of all my Sons do bring any accompt of Debt against my Estate after my Decease for Services done for me or mine before my decease then the Party so proceeding and Demanding shall be forever thereupon Debarr'd & cut of[f] from any Legaci[e]s herein given and the same shall be equally Divided amongst all the rest of my children and furthermore I Give to my son Samuel Cutter the westernmost third part of that my fifteen acres of Saltmarsh lying in Raraton Meadows on the South side of the great Creek Bounded North west on the highway & South on Parkers Pattent to him his Heirs & assigns for over 
Also I Give to my Son Ephraim Cutter the remaining third part of that my fifteen acres of Salt Marsh in Raraton Meadows lying & to lye between that part given to my Sons Richard and Samuel the Division to be made by South lines runing through the whole Lott to him his Heirs and assigns forever. 
And further I Give to my Son William Cutter the one half part of those Treehold Rights which I bought of Richard Dole the other half part of Said Right to be equally Divided between my two sons Richard and Joseph Cutter with all the undivided Lands yet to be taken up or found belonging to the said Rights to them their Heirs and assigns forever. 
And further I Give to my two Sons William and Richard Cutter all that Ten acres of Salt Meadow which I bought of Richard Dole lying at Redroot Landing Bounded South by Parkes his Lott and north by John Taylors Lott to each of my Said sons an equal part of the whole to them their Heirs and assigns forever. And for the better enabling my Sons William Richard & Joseph Cutter to pay & discharge all my just Debts & funeral Charges & Legacys as abovesaid.
I do hereby give to them my said three Eldest sons all the remaining part of my moveable Estate that is not before herein given away to my wife to them, their heirs and assigns forever. 
And Lastly I do hereby nominate constitute and appoint my three Sons William Cutter, Richard Cutter and Joseph Cutter to be my Executors of this my last will and Testament. And I do hereby utterly revoke & disanull all & every other former Wills, Testaments & Legacies & Executors by me at any time heretofore named, Willed & bequeathed Ratifying & Confimring this & no other to be my last will and Testament In witness whereof I have hereunto Set my hand and Seal the day & year above written 
Richard Cutter {SEAL}
Signed Sealed published pronounced & Declared by the said Richard Cutter this to be his last will & Testament in presence of us the Subscribers  William Kent, Richard Jaques, Joseph [his+ mark] Hevelend [Haviland], David Donham
Be it Remembered that on the twenty Second day of January one thousand seven hundred and fifty seven William Kent and Joseph Haviland two of the within witnesses personally came before me Thomas Barton duly authorized to prove wills and they being Sworn on the holy Evangelists do Depose that they were present and Saw Richard Cutter the Testator within named Sign and Seal the within written will and heard him Publish and Declare the Same to be his last will and Testament and that at the doing thereof he was of Sound mind & memory to the best of their knowledge and as they verily believe and that at the same time Richard Jaques and David Donham were present and Signed as witnesses together with them the Deponents in the Testators presence. Tho's: Barton
Be it also Remembered that at the same time William Cutter, Richard Cutter and Joseph Cutter the Executors within named were qualified by taking the usual oath of Executors as by Law appointed. 
Tho's: Barton. 
Middlesex County, New Jersey, 1781
Woodbridge area in lower right quadrant of map.
Several of the creeks mentioned in the will are show on the map, even though this is 25 years later. 
Click here to see a larger copy of the map

1757 - Jan. 22 - Middlesex Co., New Jersey - Probate Granted by Governor Belcher in the usual form Dated the 22 January 1757 Liber F, p. 397

Children:
Sarah b. 1707, d. 1758 md. Samuel Jacques
  • Susanna b. 1731, d. 1768, md. Joseph Bird, children: Jeremiah, Joseph, Sarah, Susannah
  • Samuel b. 1739, d. 1803 md. Annabel Brown, child: Samuel
  • Sarah b. 1744, d. 1758, age 12
  • William b. 1750, d. 1758, age 8
Rebecca b. 1709, d. b/t 1753 & 1756 md. Ephraim Frazee, as his second wife, he md. 3) Anna (Squire) Maxfield
  • Miriam b. 1728/9
  • Martha b 1731
  • Ephraim b. 1733, d. 1760, md. 1) (--?--), 2) (--?--), children: Thurman, Samuel
  • David b. 1737, d. 1789
  • Rachel b. 1739, d. 1748
  • Hannah b. 1741, d. 1826 md. 1758 David Sayre
  • Mary Elizabeth b. 1744, d. 1789 md. Thomas Cushman, children: David, Sarah, Thomas
  • Elizabeth b. 1746, d. 1826 md. James Coles, children: Jemima, Rachel, Dennis
  • Jeremiah b. 1747/8, md. (--?--) children: Elisha, Isaac, John, Jonatahn, Polly, unnamed daughter
  • Thurman b. 1752, d. 1843 md. 1) Anna Edwards & 2) Nancy Stuck, children: Samuel, Isaac, Ephraim, Nancy, Patience, Thurman, Squire, Matthias, Charlotte, Emily, Mary Jane
  • Samuel b. 1753, d. 1849
Elizabeth b. 1711, d. 1750
Esther
Hannah b. 1719, d. 1756 md. (--?--) Dennis
William b. 1721, d. 1780 md. Mary Kent
  • Richard b. 1745, d. 1770, age 25
  • Kelsey b. 1750, d. 1798 md. Hannah Marsh, at least one child: Charles
  • Keturah b. 1765, d. 1794 md. Joshua Rickhow
Children by Marcy Kelsey:
Richard b. 1722, d. 1768 may have been married twice - there is an Elizabeth Morris,  2nd wife of Richard Cutter buried at the First Presbyterian Church in Woodbridge, NJ.  Is this the correct Richard Cutter?
Joseph
Ebenezer
Samuel d. ca. 1758  md. Keziah Frazee, child: Richard
John
Ephraim b. 1725, d. 1770
Mary md. Jacob Baker

No comments: