Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Research Day - Gentles & Shepherds

Know all men by these presents that we William Gentle and John Merrick -- are held and firmly bound unto James Garrard, Esq. Governor of the State of Kentucky and his successors in the Just and full sum of fifty pounds current money to the which payment will and truly to be made we bind ourselves and our heirs, Executors and admors. Jointly and Severally firmly by these presents sealed with our seals and dated the 21st day of February 1804.

The condition of the above obligation is such that whereas a marriage is intended to be had and solemnized between the said William Gentle and Elizabeth Shepherd.  Now if there be no Legal cause to obstruct the same then the above obligation to be void --- to remain in full force and virtue. 

William Gentle {seal}
John Merrick {seal}
Teste: Marshall Key


[Mason County, KY Marriage Book1804-1805, p. 8

A List of Marriages Solemnized in Mason County from November -- 1803 to November 19th 1804 Inclusive

1803 Nov.r 19th Samuel Givens and Lucy Taylor
1804 January 19th Meredith Helm and Elizabeth Drake
February 5th Henry Sidwell and Cassandra Slack
18th Joseph Clemay and Eliza Green
23rd William Gentle and Elizabeth Shepherd
march 1st Simon Baker and Mary Edwards
8th William Bronough and Fanny Carroll
30th Adam Calderwood and Nancy Lawson
April 26th John Butler and Mary Nibbs
May 2nd John Simmerman and Susan Bowen
12th Thomas Blackburn and Nancy Callen
31st Ellis Devier and Elizabeth Ferris
July 5th Lewis Gilbert Gash and Nancy Maddox
September 6th Augustus Richards and Fanny Doggett
23th Micajah Blann and Milly Martin
October 18th George Knatzer and and Sally Vallentine
November 1st Thomas Foley Worthington and Airy Whips
Nov.r 18th John Tinnis and Elizabeth Haydon

Caleb J. Taylor

 [Mason County, KY Ministers Returns 1789-1836]
 
I once thought that Elizabeth Shepherd was the daughter of George and Mary (--?--) Shepherd. After reading George's will we can say that she probably wasn't:

I, George Shepherd Senior of Mason County being weak in body but sound and disposing mind and memory do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following that is to say

After the payment of my just debts and funeral expenses I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Mary Ann Shepherd one third part of all my estate also all my household and kitchen furniture, one cow and saddle to be enjoyed by her and her heirs forever.  I give to my executors hereafter named the sum of fifty dollars to settle and pay the heirs of Francis McDeomed (?) deceased for the lot of ground I sold in the city of Lexington which they had an interest in the last and residue of my estate not heretofore bequeathed by this will to be equally divided among my children Sally Browning, John Shepherd, George Shepherd Junior Anna D. Brewer, Robert Shepherd and Fanny Boyd an din order to equalize said division my daughter Sally Browning is to be charged with the sum of two hundred and thirty one dollars.  My son John Shepherd with the sum of one hundred and fifty-eight dollars.  My son George Shepherd Junior with the sum of one hundred and sixty dollars.  My daughter Anna D. Brewer with the sum of one hundred and nineteen dollars my son Robert Shepherd with the sum of two hundred seventy six dollars and my daughter Fanny Boyd with the sum of two hundred and forty two dollars.  Having heretofore given to my said children by way of advancement the sum charged to each of them as above stated. 

Lastly, I do constitute and appoint my wife Mary Ann Shepherd executrix and my son George Shepherd Jr. Executor of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all other wills or testaments by me heretofore made.  In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 21st day of November 1834. 

George [his X mark] Shepherd {seal}

Signed in presence of 
Wm. G. Bullock
Joseph Cor?
John Dickson

As detailed as this will is in naming all the children and making sure that they get equal amounts of inheritance and the fact that he did not name Elizabeth Gentle eliminates him as her father. 

I do hereby certify that I have no objection for you to grant Marriage Licence for John Bell and my ^daughter Polly Shepherd to Join in Matrimony given from under my hand and seal this 31st day of March 1806 -- Solomon Shepherd {Seal}

Attest:
Geor[g]e Stockton
J.F.A.R.S (?)
Green H. Smith.

Sworn to by Green H. Smith 31st March 1806


Is Solomon Shepherd, Elizabeth's father? There is also an Abraham & Elenor Shepherd in Mason County in 1789 who are now in contention. 

There are no Gentles other than William appearing in the Mason County, Kentucky records. 

3 comments:

C. Carpenter said...

Great work, very much appreciate the transcription of the George Shepherd will dated November 21, 1834. Do you have a full citation for it? Also, do you know if anyone has a scan of the will? I try to include as much original documentation to share and pass along to the descendants of these remarkable ancestors. God Bless!

Dedpepl said...

I didn't keep a copy of the will. It's probably in Volume 2, p. 122 of the Mason County, Kentucky Wills.

C. Carpenter said...

Appreciate the response! As so often happens, I stumbled on a link to it a few days after I stopped looking for it. It was a lucky day, as I was able to guess right and found his wife's will too. I have the links posted (https://wilsonfamilytreealbumblog.wordpress.com/family-pages/family-of-george-dillard-shepard/) at our family blog along with images of some of the related historical documents if you are interested. My mom is disappointed I did not locate any portraits of this branch of the family, but I was intrigued to find links to some interesting historical storylines. Thanks again and God Bless!