Wednesday, August 27, 2014

In Memoriam August 27th

1688 John Loomis wrote his will.  He was born 1622 in England, sailed to Boston on the Susan & Ellen at age 16 with his parents.  In 1640  John was admitted to the church in Windsor, CT, he was granted 40 acres in 1643 and married Elizabeth Scott there in 1649.  In 1652 John moved his family to Farmington, CT where they lived until 1660 when they moved back to Windsor.  John & Elizabeth had thirteen children: John, Joseph, Thomas, Samuel, Daniel, James, Timothy, Nathaniel, David, Samuel, Isaac, Elizabeth and Mary.  At age 66 on August 27th he wrote his will:
John Loomiss senior doe beinge of a competent understandinge and memory ordayne and appoynt this my Last will and Testament.
In primis my will is that my eldest son John shall have a double portion of my estate in Land yt to bee accounted for part that he have already beene possessed of and by this I give liberty to bee assured of.
My will is that all my land on both sides ye River shall be equally devided between all my children now livinge I leave itt in charg in my will yt there bee indeavered of all a ready complyance to agree in ye devission itt beinge so small devissions I know not how to pleas myself nor them My will is yt my daughter Elizabeth shall have equall portion with my sons excepting John of ye moveable estate my will is yt my wife shall have ye product of ye thirds of all my land as longe as she lives and that ye house homested & Barne Remayne to my wife as longe as she lives and ye free dispose of itt amongst my children when she dies & thatt ye 3rd prt of my moveable estate of what she shall chuse to bee to her free dispose amongst my children
My will is yt my son Thomas's two sons shall have ten pound a pees of my moveable estate I apoynt my wife and son John Executors of this my will always provided yt my Just debt shall bee payd out of my moveable estate and if itt will not reach every one proportionable shall abete
My will is that (illegible) by my wife at her death
I subscrib my hand
Wittness: John Loomys Sr., Abigail Aling, Nathanale Porter
John Loomis died five days later on September 1st.


1865 Christopher Trinkle in Clay Co., IL at age 48.  He was the husband of Nancy Colclasure and the father of five children: Ellen, Anna, William, Rebecca and Robert.

1874 Maurice Speer in Crestwood, KY the son of Charles & Anna (Runyon) Speer age 76.  He was born in Oldham Co., KY in 1874 and married Jimmie Doke in 1900.  They had eight children: Annie, Pryor, Hattie, Dorothy, Lucille, Charles, James & John (twins).  Maurice was a carpenter and is listed as a building contractor in the 1940 census.  He is buried in Harrods Creek Cemetery in Brownsboro, KY.
George Powell
1897 George Powell age 3 in Richland Co., IL the son of Charles & Mattie (?) Powell.  He is buried in Amity Cemetery in Richland Co., IL.

1998 Cindi Lea (Webb) Skelton, 25, of McLeansboro died 9 a.m. Aug. 27, 1998 at Hamilton Memorial Hospital Emergency Room.  She was a substitute teacher for Hamilton County Community District No. 10.
Mrs. Skelton was born June 3, 1973, in Hamilton County, a daughter of Ronnie and Flossie Webb.  In 1997, in McLeansboro, she married David Shane Skelton.
Services will be 1 p.m. Saturday at the First United Methodist Church, McLeansboro, with the Rev. Robert White officiating.  Burial will be in Garrison Cemetery in Aden.
Friends may call from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Harre Funeral Home in McLeansboro and after noon on Saturday at the church.
Mrs. Skelton is survived by one son, Brandon Shane Skelton at home; her husband David Shane Skelton of McLeansboro; her parents, Ronnie and Flossie Webb of Wayne City, two brothers Marty and Alicia Webb of Wayne City; and Ryan Webb of Wayne City; grandmother Fay Morris of Dahlgren; grandparents Ralph and Mae White of McLeansboro; and several aunts, uncles and cousins.
Mrs. Skelton was preceded in death by her grandparents, Ernest and Anna Webb and grandfather Donald Morris.
She was an active member of First United Methodist Church in McLeansboro.

No comments: