Wednesday, August 14, 2013

August 14th

Birthdays: 

1621 John Stratton son of William & Elizabeth (?) Stratton in London, England, possible ancestor of Richard Clark.

1837 Louisa Hoffman in Wűrttemberg, Germany the second wife of Jacob Erkman. They married ca. 1858 in White Co. IL and had four children.  Jacob died in 1875 in White Co. IL.  Louisa married second Christian Dexrhimer in 1876.  She died in White Co. IL in 1888.

1852 Wesley Bryan son of Gideon & Charlotte (Brewer) Bryan in Clay Co. IL.  He died in Ingraham, IL in 1925.

1862 Gustav Suter in Marine, IL the son of Gustav & Eloise (Hoyer) Suter.  He died in 1918 in St. Jacob, IL.

1872 James Fitzgerald the son of James & Rebecca (Ward) Fitzgerald in Illinois.  He died in Granby, MO in 1952.

1903 Julia Fowler in Memphis, NE the wife of Halbert Miller. 

1911 Pauline Fitzgerald daughter of Howard & JoAnna (McDonald) Fitzgerald.  She married Arthur Bentley.  Pauline died in 1984.

1911 John Burton in Wabash Co., IL the son of James & Martha (Meyers) Burton.  He married Dolores Colclasure in 1934 and they had three children.  He died 1991 in Flora, IL and is buried in Burnt Prairie Cemetery in White Co. IL.

1933 Bernard Chapman son of Noah & Louella (Talbert) Chapman in Wayne City, IL.  He died 2005 in Herrin, IL.

Donald Wren son of Albert & Della (Robertson) Wren

Monica Donohue the wife of Timothy Jones 

Rodney Shelton son of Ronald & Elaine (Savage) Shelton.

A single anniversary:

1623 Gov. William Bradford & Alice Carpenter.  William the son of William & Alice (Hanson) Bradford was born 1588 in Yorkshire, England.  He was baptized in Austerfield, England in 1590 and married 1) Dorothy May in Leiden, Holland where he and other Separatists lived to avoid persecution.  The Bradfords immigrated to North America on the Mayflower in 1620 where Dorothy died shortly after arriving.  William became the second Governor of Plymouth Colony after the death John Carver.  Bradford held the position for over 30 years.  He documented the early history of the colony in his manuscript Of Plymouth Plantation.  Alice was born ca. 1590 in Wrentham, England the daughter of Alexander Carpenter.  She married 1) Edward Southworth in 1613 in Amsterdam, Holland.  Edward died in England ca. 1618.  Alice immigrated to Plymouth Colony in 1623 after receiving a marriage proposal from William.  They had three children.  William died in 1657 leaving a nuncupative will:

Mr. William Bradford senir: being weake in body but in prfect memory haveng Defered the forming of his Will in hopes of haveng the healp of Mr. Thomas Prence therin, feeling himselfe very weake and drawing on to the conclusion of his mortall life spake as followeth;

I could have Desired abler than myselfe in Desposing of that I have; how my estate is none knowes better than yourselfe, said hee to Lieutenant Southworth; I have Desposed to John and William alreddy their proportions of land which they are possessed of;

My Will is that my son Joseph bee made in some sort equall to his brethren out of my estate;

My further Will is that my Deare and loveng wife Allice Bradford shalbee the sole Exequitrix of my estate; and for her future maintenance my Will is that my Stocke in the Kennebecke Trad[e] be reserved for her Comfortable Subsistence as farr as it will extend and soe further in any such way as may bee judged best for her;

Reproduction of William Bradford's
Home Plymouth Plantation
I further request and appoint my wellbeloved Christian ffrinds Mr. Thomas Prence, Captain Thomas Willet and Lieutenant Thomas Southworth to be the Supervissors for the Desposing of my estate according to the pr[o]mises Confiding much in their faithfulnes 

I commend unto your Wisdome and Descretions some smale bookes written by my ownd hand to bee Improved as you shall see meet;  In speciall I Comend to you a little book with a blacke cover wherin there is a word to Plymouth a word to Boston and a word to New England with sundry usefull verses;

These p[ar]ticulars were expressed by the said William Bradford Govrn the 9th of May 1657 in the prsence of us Thomas Cushman, Thomas Southworth, Nathaniel Morton, whoe were Deposed before the court held at Plymouth the 3rd of June 1657 to the truth of the abovesaid Will that it is the last Will and Testament of the abovesaid Mr. Bradford, senior.

Alice lived until 1699 and left a will also:

The Last Will and Testament of mistris Allice Bradford senir of Plymouth Deceased ; exhibited to the Court held att Plymouth in new England the 7th Day of June Anno Dom 1670 on the oathes of Nathaniel: Morton and Leift: Ephraim Morton; as followeth;

I Allis Bradford senir of the Towne of Plymouth in the Jurisdiction of New Plymouth widdow : being weake in body but of Disposing mind and perfect memory blessed be God; not knowing how soone the Lord may please to take mee out of this world unto himselfe : Doe make and ordaine this to be my last Will and Testament; in manor and forme as followeth; Impr I bequeath my soule to god that gave it and my body to the Dust in hope of a Joyfull resurrection unto glory; Desiring that my body may be Intered as neare unto my Deceased husband; mr Willam Bradford: as Conveniently may be; and as for my worldly estate I Dispose of it as followeth;

Imprs I give and bequeath unto my Deare sister Mary Carpenter; the bed I now lye on with the furniture: therunto belonging and a paire of sheets and a good Cow and a yearling heiffer and a younge mare

Item I give and bequeath unto my son mr Constant Southworth my Land att Paomett: viz all my Purchase land there: with all my rights privilidges and appurtenances therunto belonging; To him and his heires and assignes for ever;

Item I give and bequeath unto my said son Constant Southworth and unto my son mr Joseph Bradford: the one halfe of my sheep; to be equally Devided betwixt them; and the other halfe to my son Captaine Willam Bradford

Item I give unto my said son Joseph Bradford my paire of working oxen and a white heiffer;

Item I give unto my honored frend mr Thomas Prence one of the bookes that were my Deare husbands Library; which of them hee shall Choose;

Item I give unto my Deare Grand child Elizabeth Howland; the Daughter of my Deare son Captaine Thomas Southworth Deceased; the sume of seaven pounds; for the use and benifitt of her son James howland

Item I give unto my servant maide Mary Smith a Cow Calfe to be Delivered her the next springe if I Decease this winter; and if I Doe not Decease this winter; my will is that shee have one Delivered to her out of my estate in som short time after my Decease;

all the rest of my estate not Disposed of all reddy by this my last Will and Testament; as above said;

I give and bequeath unto my sonnes mr Constant Southworth Captaine Willam Bradford and mr Joseph Bradford to be equally Devided amongst them in equall and alike proportions;

In Witnes that this is my Last Will and Testament I the said Allice Bradford have heerunto sett my hand and seale; this twenty ninth day of December anno Dom one Thousand six hundred sixty nine.

They are buried in Plymouth, MA.

No comments: