Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Ahnentafel #848 - John Morehead

John Morehead

Born: between 1685 and 1690 Northumberland Co., VA
Died: between June 22 & August 8, 1768 in Fauquier Co., VA

Buried: unknown

Married: Mary (--?--) in Virginia

Occupation: Planter

Biography:

John Morehead, who bought the land of Henry Cafly on June 8, 1726, in that part of King George County which four years later, 1730 became Prince William County, covering the great square between the Blue Ridge and the Potomac opposite the present site of Washington, has long been the earliest positively recorded known member of his family.  He was born some time before 1700, probably as early as 1681 or 1682, and his wife's name was Mary. On September 10, 1742, they were living in Hamilton parish of Prince William County, where he was an extensive planter. This was the year that Fairfax County
was created on the Potomac side of Prince WIlliam, and on March 4 of that year Lord Fairfax granted him a tract of 167 acres in Prince William County. Seventeen years later, 1759, John Morehead's home plantation became a part of the newly created county named after Governor Fauquier, and here he spent the rest of his life. Three years later, on November 5, 1762, it may be noted in passing, he deeded 123 acres of his land to his second son, Joseph Morehead. Six years later, 1768, on June 22, he made his will, and before August 8 his death occured, hiis wife, Mary having also died before that date. 
[Morehead, Joseph. The Morehead Family of North Carolina & Virginia, New York: Morehead, 1921]

Records:
before 1726 - John moved from Northumberland to King George Co., VA

1726 - June 8 - King George Co., VA - John bought land from Henry Cafly.

1728 - Dec. 6 - King George Co., VA - John witnessed Henry Calfee's will and testified in probate court on May 2, 1729.

1730 - part of King George Co. VA became Prince William County

1742 - Fairfax County, VA created from the northern part of Prince William County

1742 - March 4 - Prince William Co., VA - Lord Fairfax granted a 167 acre tract to John Morehead

1742 - Sept. 10 - Prince William Co., VA - John was living in Hamilton Parish

1742-1746 - Prince William Co., VA - John was buying and selling land:
Indenture between John Morehead, parish of Hamilton, County of Prince William, planter and Mary his wife of the one part, and John Frogg of same place of the other part, 192 acres of land granted by patent from the Proprietors of the Northern Neck, bearing date 10 September, 1742.
Indenture between John Frogg of parish of Hamilton County of Prince William,  gent. to John Morehead, Snr. of aforesaid county, planter of 180 acres of land.  9 April 1746, Deed Book I, p. 97.
1759 - Part of Prince William Co., VA became Fauquier County

1762 - Nov. 5 - Fauquier Co., VA - John deeded 123 acres to his son Joseph. 

1764 - Mar. 2 - Hamilton Parish, Fauquier Co., VA - John deeded 124 acres to his son John Jr. who later sold this land to his son Samuel

1764 - Mar. 22 - Fauquier Co., VA - deeds to sons:
Indenture made this 22 March 1764, between John Morehead of Fauquier and his son John Morehead, land where said John Snr., now lives containing 12 acres.
Deed of Gift Between John Morehead and John Morehead, son of sd. Morehead . . . for natural love and affection . . . 124 acres now in his possession. Signed John Morehead.  Wit: Jos. Blackwell, Thomas McClanaham, Edward Humston. Rec. 22 March 1764, acknowledged by John Morehead.
1766 - Oct. 22 - Fauquier Co., VA - Joseph sold land he received from his father John to Edward West:
Indenture made this 22 October 1766, between Joseph Morehead of county of Halifax and Elizabeth his wife, and Edward West of King George County, of a parcel of land lying in Fauquier of 150 acres given said Joseph Morehead, by his fatherJohn Morehead, by deed of gift 26 Nov. 1753, which said John Morehead bought of Henry Casly 8 June 1726.  Wit:  Joseph Blackwell, Charles Morehead, Lettice Chilton
1768 - June 22 - Fauquier Co., VA - John wrote his will:
In the Name of God Amen the twenty second day of June one thousand seven hundred and sixty eight, I John Morehead of the County of Fauquier being sick and weak but of perfect mind and memory thanks be given unto God therefore calling into mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this my last will and testament that is to say Principally and first of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands of Almighty God who gave it and my body I recommend to the Earth to buried in a decent Christian burial and the discretion of my executors nothing doubting but at the general resurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God and as touching such worldly estate where with it hath pleased God to help me in this life I give and dispose of the same in the following manner and form.  
Viz.  Imprimis I give to my daughter Hannah Johnson five shillings and this I give her over and above what I have already done for her by gift or otherwise and I do hereby declare that it is my full desire that she shall not have any claim or title to any other part of my estate whatsoever. 
Item I give my son Charles Morehead five shillings and this I give over and above what I have already done for him by gift or otherwise and I do hereby declare that it is my full desire that he shall not have any claim or title to my estate whatsoever.
Item I give my son Joseph Morehead five shillings and this I give over and above what I have already done for him by gift or otherwise and I do hereby declare that it is my full desire that he shall not have any claim or title to my estate whatsoever.
Item I give my son John Morehead five shillings and this I give over and above what I have already done for him by gift or otherwise and I do hereby declare that it is my full desire that he shall not have any claim or title to my estate whatsoever.
Item I give unto my son Alexander Morehead one negro woman named Sarah, also one negro child called Betty to him and his heirs forever lawfully begotten and in case he die without such heir it is my will and desire that it be equally divided between his surviving brothers and sisters.
Item I give to my son William Morehead fifteen pounds and this I give over and above what I have already done for him by gift or otherwise and I do hereby declare that it is my full desire that he shall not have any claim or title to my estate excepting the land here after mentioned.
Item I give unto my daughter Mary Lawrence five shillings and this I give over and above what I have already done for him by gift or otherwise and I do hereby declare that it is my full desire that he shall not have any claim or title to my estate whatsoever.
Item I give to my daughter Elizabeth Brixtraw five shillings and this I give over and above what I have already done for him by gift or otherwise and I do hereby declare that it is my full desire that he shall not have any claim or title to my estate whatsoever.
Item I give to my son Samuel Morehead a certain tract or parcel of land containing by estimation ninety acres adjoining Rhodam Tillis, Joseph Blackwell and Brooks and likewise another tract or parcel of land containing by estimation fifty acres adjoining the land my son Joseph sold to Edward West.
Item I leave the land I now live on after my wife decease to be equally divided between my three sons Alexander, William and Presley Morehead, and in case any of my children is without heir and lawfully begotten that then it be sold and the money equally divided between my surviving children.
Item I leave all the rest of my estate to be equally divided between my loving wife, my son Samuel and Presley Morehead and it is my desire that in case either of my sons Samuel or Presley die without heir lawfully begotten that then it be equally divided between my surviving children.
Item Lastly I appoint my three sons Charles, Alexander and William Morehead executors to this my last will and testament and I do hereby revoke and disavow all and every other former wills confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day and year first above written.
Signed, sealed and acknowledged - John Morehead (seal)
In presence of John Jett, William Prim, Joseph  Stockton (?)
At a court held for Fauquier County the 24th day of October 1768
This will was proved by the oaths of John Jett and William Prim witnesses thereto ordered to be recorded and on the motion of Charles, Alexander and William Morehead who made oath and executed and acknowledged bond as the law directs certificate is granted to them for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.
J.H. Brookett
1768 - Aug. 8 - Fauquier Co., VA - posthumous transfer of slave from John Morehead to his son Samuel:
Conveyance from John Morehead Snr. after his decease and that of his wife, a negro girl to his son Samuel Morehead.
8 Aug. 1768 Assignment John Morehead Sr. after my death and my wife's ditto give the within named girl and increase to my loving son Samuel . . . Signed John Morehead.  Wit: John Jett, William Primm, William Morehead, Rec. 24 Oct. 1768. Proved by oath of William Primm and John Jett, wits.
1768 - Oct. 24 - Fauquier Co., VA - John's will was probated

1768 - Nov. 28 - Fauquier Co., VA - the estate was inventoried and appraised at £392.12.9.

1770 - Fauquier Co., VA - John's estate appeared on the tax rolls as being 450 acres.

1772 - Apr. 26 - Fauquier Co., VA - Presley sold land that John had given him:
Bargain and sale between William Morehead and Presley Morehead £50 . . . the reversion of 100 acres being part of a tract whereon John Morehead dec'd. formerly lived, father of the aforesaid William and by him bequeathed to William . . . Signed: William Morehead.  Wits: Joseph Blackwell, Samuel Blackwell, Charles Morehead.  Rec: 26 April 1774 acknowledged by William Morehead.
1778 - Nov. 23 - Fauquier Co., VA - Presley sold land that John had given him:
Conveyance between Presley Morehead of Fauquier, planter, and Betsy his wife and Alexander Morehead of same place and Lydia his wife and Mary Morehead widow, and John Morehead, decd., of the one part and James Lewis of said county, farmer, of the second part, a parcel of land in Fauquier, purchased by the late John Morehead 27 January 1755.  Recorded 23 Nov. 1778.
Children:
Hannah md. before 1768 (--?--) Johnson
Joseph md. Elizabeth Turner (sister of Mary Turner below)
  • Sarah md. Josiah Carthel / Cathill?
  • Mary md. (--?--) Starbuck
  • Nancy md. David Thomas
  • Elizabeth md (--?--) Redman
  • Keren-happuch md. (-? -) Tanner
  • Turner never married
  • Charles never married
  • Captain James d. ca. 1815, never married
  • Joseph md. (--?--) Jenkins
  • John b. 1790 md. Obedience Motley 
    • John Motley
      • Robert Lindsay Morehead aka Eugene (son of John Motley) md. Lucy Lathrop, her Lathrop line: 
        • 1. Lucy Lathrop
          2. James Williams Lathrop
          3. Margaret Warren
          4. Charles Lathrop
          5. Roxey Chapman
          8. Charles Lathrop
          9. Lucy Stark
          16. Cyprian Lathrop
          17. Mary Stark
          32. Benjamin Lathrop
          33. Martha Adgate
          64. Israel Lathrop
          65. Rebecca Bliss
          128. Samuel Lathrop - grandpa
          129. Elizabeth Scudder - grandma
          256. Rev. John Lathrop - grandpa
    • James Turner
    • Samuel
    • Abraham Forrest
    • Mary
    • Prudence
    • Elizabeth
    • Anne 
Alexander md. Lydia (--?--)
William d. ca. 1812 his estate was probated June 12, 1812
Mary md. before 1768 (--?--) Lawrence
Elizabeth md. before 1768 (--?--) Brixtraw
Samuel d. 1795 md. Wilmauth (--?--)
  • Sarah md. (--?--) Jennings
  • Lydia
  • Mary
  • Elizabeth
  • Peggy
  • Charles
  • Samuel B. 
Presley d. 1820 md. Elizabeth (--?--), people mentioned in will, probably his children:
  • Fanny md. Samuel Rixey
    • Mary Rixey
    • Presley Rixey
  • Presley
  • Lewis
  • Mary md Richard Rixey
    • Frances Ann Rixey
  • Catherine md. Walter A. Smith
    • Elizabeth Smith
    • Walter Smith
Captain Charles b. 1739, d. 1783 md. Mary Turner (sister of Elizabeth Turner above)
  • Turner md. 1) Mary Ann Hooe & 2) 1779 Ann Ransdale 
    • Charles Robert
  • Charles md. Margaret Slaughter
  • Mary md. Wharton Ransdell
    • Charles Ransdell
    • Wharton Ransdell
  • Kerenhappuck md. Daniel Donaldson
  • Major Armistead d. 1826, Logan Co., KY clerk. md. Lucy Latham
  • James
  • Presley md. Mary Duncan
  • Elizabeth md. Thompson Briggs
John

Revised 1/2/2023

No comments: