Thursday, October 24, 2019

Ahnentafel #720 - Richard Clark

Richard Clark

Born: ca. 1680

Died: 1743 New Jersey

Buried: unknown


Married: Hannah (--?--) some say Craig & others Terrell


Records:
1743 - May 17 - Elizabeth, Essex County, New Jersey - Richard petitioned the probate court to be relieved as executor of his father's estate because of "being sick and weak."  Apparently, pretty sick . . . 

1743 - May 20 - Elizabeth, Essex County, New Jersey - Richard made his will:
In the name of God amen. The Twentieth Day of may in The Sixteenth year of ye Reign of our Sovereign Lord George the Second, King over Great Britain &c. anno Domini one Thousand Seven hundred and forty three I Richard Clark, Senr. of the Borrough of Elizabeth In the province of East New Jersey yeoman Being weak in Body but of sound and perfect mind and memory, Thanks be given unto Allmighty God, Therefore calling unto mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to Die Do make
and ordain this my Last will and Testament. That is to say principally and first of all I give and Recommend my soul and spirit into ye hands of Allmighty God that gave it and for my Body I Recommend it to ye Earth to be buried in a Christian like and decent manner at ye Discretion of my Executors herein after mentioned and as Touching such worldly estate where with it hath pleased Almighty God to bless me with in this Life I give Devise and Dispose and dispose of ye same in way manner and form following
And first and formost I Do order that all my Just debts & funeral Expenses be well and truly paid out of my Estate 
Imprimis I give and bequeath unto my Eldest son Richard Clark and to his heirs and assigns thhe sum of five shilling current money of New Jersey with what I heartofore given him Is and shall be all his Share part and portion in all my whole Estate both Real and personal. 
Item I give and bequeath unto my son Elisha Clark and to his heirs and assigns forever all that lot of land lying above on North westerly from ye first or South mountain being number Ten addition lying for one hundred acres (Six acres only Exempted? which I have heretofore sold) together with all the Right and appurtenances thereto belonging unto ye sd. Elisha Clark my son and to his heirs and assigns forever. 
Item I give and bequeath unto my son James Clark and to his heirs and assigns forever all that Tract of Salt meadow lying in Raway meadows which my father Richard Clark formily purchased of Samuel Ollivor with all ye appurtenances and advantages thereto belonging unto ye sd James Clark my son unto his heirs and assigns forever. 
Item I give and bequeath unto my son Ruben Clark and his and assigns forever all that my part of land lying for sixty(?) acres lying above and northwesterly from ye first or south mountain being part of ye lot number Eighty and ----- being ye wholly(?) part of ye ----- unto sd Ruben Clark my son and to his heirs and assigns forever. 
Item I give and bequeath unto my son Samuel Clark and to his heirs and assigns forever all my homestead of lands lying on both sides of the high-way Adjoyning to Joshua Marsh, Abraham Clark, Andrew Hampton & John ----- (Excepting only what is herein after given to my son Thomas Clark also and what my Executor herein after mentioned are Empowered to sell) Together also with all the houses, barns, orchards and E---- thereon built and standing and all other appurtenances to ye same belonging unto him the sd Samuel Clark my son and to his heirs and assigns forever and do give to my son Samuel my Red Sadle
Item I give and bequeath to my son Thomas Clark and to his heirs and assigns forever The quantity of Ten acres [words in crease] of land being a ---- ---- ---- lands ---- above mentioned and lying on ye northerly side of ---- ye highway on to northern(?) side of sd. Land. Adjoyning to ye land of Abraham Clark (Excepting my my Executors herein after mentioned see fit to sell two acres ajoiyning to sd Abraham Clark) if they do then my sd son Thomas to hold his sd Ten acres ajoyning to ye same they sell Together with all the appurtences to ye Land belonging unto the sd Thomas Clark my son and to his heirs and assigns forever. 


Item I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Rachel Lawrance ye sum of five shillings current money of New Jersey sd. Sum offive shillings unto my daughter Rachel Lawrance ye wife of William Lawrance to her heirs & assigns forever. 
Item I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Jemima Kellsey wife of Daniel Kellsey five shillings current money of New Jersey to my said daughter Jemima Kelsey & to her heirs and assigns forever. 
Item I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Abigail Clark to her heirs or assigns one gun table & gun case & one ---- plater marked with EeF ye same to be Delivered to her at ye age of Eighteen years or when married and if my sd. Daughter Abigail should die under age or without issue then ye same shall be to my daughter Jemima Kelsey & ye heirs of her body.
Item I give and bequeath unto my son James Clark and to his heirs & assigns the one half part of all my right of commonage the undivided lands heretofore to be taken up on ye Right of Caleb Curwithy and ye other moiety or that part I give and bequeath unto my sons namely Elisha, Ruben, Samuel & Thomas Clarks to be equaly divided amongst --- their heirs and assigns and if either of them should die under age or without Issue it shall be divided amongst ye survivors
Item I bequeath my grandson John Mills the son of my daughter of Hannah Deceased the sum of five shillings. 
---- do order that my son Samuel Clark shall pay to my son Thomas Clark the sum of three pounds when sd Thomas comes to twenty one --- and also my sd son Samuel at ye age of twenty two years , shall pay to my son Ruben Clark or to his heirs ye sum of five pounds. 
Item I do order and my will is that if my son Samuel shuld die under age or without Issue that then my sd Son Thomas his heirs & assigns shall have what I have herein above given to my sd son Samuel and that my three son namely Elisha, James & Ruben Clark their heirs and assigns shall [have] what I have herein above given to my son Thomas Clark to be Equally divided amongst them to hold ye same to them  their heirs and assigns forever.  
In case my one(?) sd son Thomas shuld die under age or without Issues that then my three sons namely Elisha James and Ruben Clark their heirs and assigns shall have all ye lands which I have herein above given to my son Thomas --- my will in case my two sons Samuel and Thomas both die under age and with Issue that then my three sons Elisha, James and Ruben Clark their heirs and assigns shall Equaly have and hold --- --- herein above to sd Samuel and Thomas bequeathed ---- 
Item after all my just debts funeral expences and above bequeathed legacies are well and truly paid I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Hannah all the Rest and remainder of all my personal Estate also all the income and use of my heretofore sd land buildings and and E------ during my ---- but(?) and if she should die or marry before my three sons ---- come to age of twenty one years or marry And do ordain & appoint my beloved wife Hannah and my son James Clark to be my sole and only Executors in this my last will and Testament and do Empower my said Executors to sell and confirm acres of land of my homestead ---- whereon ----- -----  ------ ye  home (not touching ye outlying and orchard) if they see fit ---- ----- ----- confirmed ----- ---- unto unto ye buyer or buyers their heirs and assigns forever and I do hereby Revoke and ----- ------ all other ---- ---- wills and testaments by me heretofore made Ratifing  and confirming this and no other to be my only will and testament in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal ye day and year first above written. Richard Clark Senr 
Signed, sealed published and sworn by Richard Clark testator to be his last will and testament in ----- ---- of us ye subscribers 
Abraham Clarke, John Craig, John Terrill
1743 - Nov. 2 - Essex Co., New Jersey - Hannah and her son James submitted an inventory of Richard's estate to probate court:
Richard Clark of Essex County Inventory, filed 21 Nov. 1743
November 2, 1743
  • To all the wareing cloaths £5.19.0
  • the Sorril mare £6.10.0
  • ye Sorril Colt £6.10.0
  • ye black mare £1.15.0
  • to two cows at £3.10.0 per pe. £7.0.0
  • to fat cow £3.5.0
  • one stear year old past £1.12.0
  • two calves £1.13.0
  • seven: sheep at £7 per pe. £2.9.0
  • foure: hogs £4.19.0
  • twelve: Gees £0.12.0
  • ye: fowls £0.12.0
  • ye: Rye in the Barne £1.12.0
  • ye Indian corn in the crib £2.0.3
  • three lode and three quarter of fresh hay £3.11.6
  • three lode of salt hay in the meadow £1.12.0
  • six old barrils £0.7.6
  • one hogsteed [hogshead] of Syder £1.2.0
  • old funnel £0.1.0
  • ly[e] tubb and appels £0.6.0
  • barril with sope [soap] £0.8.0
  • old loom and tackling £1.10.0
  • Dutch wheat and Spooling wheat £0.13.0
  • Geer frame £0.1.6
  • three old chains £0.7.0
  • grate clebes [clevis] £0.3.0
  • the tobaca [tobacco] £0.9.0
  • gear collers and 5 small clebbes [clevises] £0.15.0
  • beatle and wedges £0.3.6 [a beetle is a tool resembling a hammer but with a large head, usually wooden) used to drive wedges, used to split wood.]
  • fore old tool(?) £0.2.0
  • peel and tongs £0.11.0 [peel: a thin, flat, round or oblong, handled cooking utensil used to move bread, etc. about, to and from a hot oven]
  • two trammels £0.9.0
  • large Iron pot £0.18.0
  • small Iron pot £0.1.0
  • small Iron kittel £0.5.0
  • frying pan £0.3.6
  • flesh fork £0.1.6
  • lantern and isinglass(?) £0.5.0 [isinglass: usually crystalline, near transparent form of mineral mica, used to cover the viewing aperture in a stove, or a lantern]
  • hand saw and drawing knife £0.2.0
  • Ax and hammer £0.5.9
  • box Iron and lantern(?) £2.2.6(?)
  • a large hackel £0.12.0
  • tall the pewter £1.13.0
  • tin pot and funnel £0.1.0
  • foure hays and the other wooden ware £0.7.6
  • old mortar £0.0.9
  • box and candals £0.3.3
  • Rundlet £0.1.5
  • Sugar box and Sugar £0.1.6
  • two forks and box of lumber £0.6.0
  • Razor and flems £0.3.6 [fleam: a common pointed instrument, held in the hand, and used to bleed people and animals]
  • to all the Earthen ware £0.7.?
  • to seven pound of Sugar £0.4.8
  • old Sith [scythe] and Sikel [sickle] and candle stock £0.1.9
  • to talow and wheat flower £0.1.6
  • Stone and knife box and knifes and forks £0.4.0
  • pale 2 tubbs one churn 2 baskets £0.8.0
  • to the Books £0.8.0
  • foure Glass bottles £0.2.0
  • to a hanging cubbard £0.5.2
  • chamber pot and Roweling Iron, Cloath Shears £0.4.9 [rowel - spur]
  • fan and Riddle and Cow bell £0.9.0
  • red Sadle £1.16.9 the black Sadle £?.6.? - £3.2.0
  • three bridles and one halter £0.9.9
  • ten pounds of wool £0.15.0
  • three and half of buckwheat £0.7.0
  • foure bushels of Rye £0.11.0
  • ten bushels of Indian corn £0.17.6
  • warping bar, boxes and spools £0.16.0
  • pothooks 2 flails 2 rakes a Cradle £0.6.6
  • Eight Small tubbs and a meel trough £0.9.0
  • three large tubbs £0.12.0
  • Chist with bens(?) £0.5.0
  • two logs/bags(?) old bedsted, a new broom £0.9.6
  • half bushel £0.3.6
  • Seven Rods and geers £2.9.?
  • grate wheel and cards £0.7.0
  • a halburt £0.12.0
  • trunk bedsted bed and furniture £1.11.6
  • fether bed and bedsted and furniture £7.0.6
  • pare of sheets £0.12.0
  • Gun box  and £0.7.0 and chest £0.3.0 Gun table £0.12.0 - £1.2.0
  • bed cord cooking glass £0.5.8
  • flax linnin yearn wooling yearn £0.16.0
  • five chars and tab[l]e £0.8.5
  • hogg tubb £0.1.6
[Total] £30.18.?
  • Remains on balance of Joseph Kilseys bond £1.8.10
  • Joseph Kilseys bill £1.19.6
  • In Cash £0.7.0
  • the green corn on the ground and the plow £5.11.0
  • the flax in the barn £0.3.0
  • by us George Ross, Abraham Clark
  • a bond on Nathaniel Clark £3.3.6
  • a bill on John Lee for £4.16.2
  • a bond on John Lee for £4.3.8
  • to oyster Shels £0.5.0
[Total] £21.17.8
Brought over from the other Sides £113.8.8
The above is a true and just Inventory of all the moveable Estate of Richard Clark late of the burrough of Elizabeth dec'ed as is come to our hands or knowledg
Hannah [her H mark] Clark, James Clark executors
The above Estate was appraized by the us the Subscribers ye 2 day of November: 1743 as witness our hands
Abraham Clark, George Ross, appraisers
Children:
Richard
James b. ca. 1708
Elisha b. after 1722
Reuben b. after 1722, d. between 1794 & 1795 md. Mary (--?--)
  • Samuel
  • Enoch
  • Thomas
  • Rhoda md. David Bercount
  • Margaret md. Abraham Marsh
  • Hannah md. Daniel Craig
  • Abigail md. Benjamin Gilman
Thomas b. after 1722, d. after 1750
Abigail b. ca. 1731, d. 1789 md. John Ogden 
  • Abigail Ogden b. 1757, d. 1833 md. Isaac Mann, daughter Sarah
Samuel b. ?, d. ca. 1752 no wife named in his will.  His mother Hannah was named in his will.
Rachel d. 1756 md. William Lawrence
Jemima md. Daniel Kellsey
Hannah d. before 1743, md. (-?-) Mills
  • John Mills
Revised 1/20/2024

No comments: