Sunday, November 12, 2017

Ahnentafel #374 - Michael Miller

Michael Miller, last name may have been Muller

Born: by 1730, possibly in Germany, possibly in Pennsylvania
Died: between Dec. 1795 & Jan. 1796 probably in Lincoln Co., North Carolina

Buried: Unknown

Married: Unknown

Occupation: Farmer

Records:

1754 - Feb. 28 - Mecklenburg Co., NC, Deed, (March, 14, 1764) George Potts of Mecklenburg, cooper to Jacob Forney, distiller of same (lease £50) . . . land on south side Catawba [River], both sides Killons Creek, 300 acres adjoining Killon, granted to Michael Miller 28 Feb. 1754 & sold to Devault Potts, 13 Oct. 1756 . . . George Potts (Seal) Wit: Charles Moore, Leonard Killian (X), ------- [German signature].

1756 - Oct. 13 -  Mecklenburg Co., NC - Michael sold land to Devault Potts, see deed above.


1765 - Oct. 7 - Mecklenburg Co., NC - Michael purchased 300 acres from William & Margaret Armstrong on Keenes branch of Leepers Creek for £60.

1786 - Mar. 1 - Lincoln Co., NC - Entry 295. granted. Michael Miller claims 100 acres in Lincoln Co. on the waters of Leapards Creek [Leeper's Creek]; border: his own land on north and northwest sides; entered March 1, 1786, £20.

1786 - Apr. 4 - Lincoln Co., NC - Entry 304. granted Michael Miller claims 50 acres in Lincoln Co; border: his own land and (--?--) Turner; entered April 4, 1786, £5.

1787 - Aug. 10 - Lincoln Co., NC - Packet #379, Grant #321 to Michael Miller, Entry #304 entered April 4, 1766 Book 66, p. 36(?), 50 acres on the waters of Leaperds Creek joining his own land and Turner's line.

1790 - North Carolina census - not named on census, may be living with one of his children.

1791 - Feb. 26 - Lincoln Co., NC - Entry 196. granted Michael Miller claims 150 acres in Lincoln Co. on the waters of Leapers Creek [Leeper's Creek]; border: his own [land], Andrew Krysel & Jacob Hopis; includes part of his own improvement; entered Feb. 26, 1791.  Andrew Krysel is probably is son-in-law.

1796 - May 19 - Lincoln Co., NC - Andrew Crysel deed which states that the land borders "Michl Miller's old line" which means that Michael has either sold the land or died, probably the latter.

1795 - Dec. 25 - Lincoln Co., NC - Michael wrote his last will and testament:
To the worshipful Court of the County of Lincoln in the state of North Carolina, I Michael Miller of said County, do hereby declare and publish by my own self in this instrument of writting my last will and testament and desire of the worshipful court that the same may be recorded as such seeing just cause of it(?). 
I so to prevent fraud and ---- after my decease which I hardly can avoid in my lifetime assuring hereby and stating to the worshipful court verbally by the words of my own mouth that I am at present of perfect health of body and of sane memory.  Thanks be given unto God, this twenty fifth day of December in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety five.
Whereas I have formerly distributed all my lands, goods and chattels unto my children and grand children in such a manner as I adjudged necessary and fit in consideration of the situation of each and every one of them consisting  with the duties of paternal affection love, humanity, justice and equity only reserving the necessities of my support and maintainance of my body during the natural time of my life, and in respect of this conveyed my plantation unto John Keener, my son at law who hath deserved the same more than double by his troubles at all times and more especially during the sickness both of me and my wife during our affliction and sickness and Andrew Crisel my son at law, having received of me also sufficient value for his respective portion so that he with his family might be satisfied and easy but on the contrary the said Andrew Crisel with his numerous family with great dissatisfaction and inquietness appearing very troublesome and destitute of all filial affection always threatening to overthrow my will to prevent which I do hereby and in virtue of this presents declare that not withstanding their disafection I heartly forgive them their ingratitude but finding it a matter of necessitate (?) consquentis (?) to keep all my goods and moveables and outstanding moneys in my own possession to my own use untill death shall call me into eternity recommending my soul to God that gave it and my body to the earth to be buried in decent Christian burial at the discretion of my executor hereafter named and to my son John Miller who deserted with the British in the American Revolution if he shall personally appear within ten years from the day of the date hereof then and not otherwise he shall be intitled to receive out of my estate the sum of two pounds hard money in ready cash to be paid unto him by my executor if I am dead, but if my said son John Miller doth not appear in his own person within the time limited then my executor shall pay the said sum of forty shillings like money as aforesaid unto Michael Crisel my grandson, but not otherwise.
And all and singular the remainder and remainders of my estate in my lawful possession at the time of my natural death give unto my son at law, John Keener, whom I do hereby make and ordain the whole and sole executor of this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all and every other former wills and testaments, legacies and bequests and executors by me in any wise before willed or named ratifying and confirming (?) only this and no other to be my last will and testament in testimony whereof I, the said Michael Miller have to this my last will and testament set my hand and seal this day and year first above written.
His Michael X Miller mark
Signed, sealed published and delivered by the said Michael Miller the testator as his last will and testament in the presence of us who were present at the time of signing and sealing thereof
Andrew Stockinger
Jacob Lutz
John Dietz
Michael Miller, 25 December 1795, January 1796. Son-in-law John Keener.  Son-in-law Andrew Crisel.  Son John Miller "who deserted with the British in the American Revolution" if he appears within 10 years.  Grandson Michael Crisel.  Wit. Andrew Stokinger, Jacob Lutz, John Dietz. 
Children:

Unnamed daughter md. John Keener ca. 1777
  • John b. 1778, d. 1781 md. Hannah Engle 1808 children: Catherine, George, Ephraim, Mary, Henry, Sarah, Amy, Simon
  • Adam b. 1781, d. 1856 md. Mary Finger children: John, Lewis, Solomon, Frances, Sarah, Catherine, Mary M., Susanna
  • Michael b. 1783, d. 1860 md. 1) Mary Barnes, 2) Anna Catherine Schrum, children: Margaret, Peter, B.S., Cephas, Daniel, Susan, Melinda, David, Martin, Christ E., M.F. 
  • Jacob b. 1785, d. 1859 md. Nancy Troutman, children: Mose, Andrew, Elijah, Anna, Lenny, Jacob, Maryann, Pickney, Adeline
  • David b. 1790, d. 1869 md. Elizabeth Bumgarner, children: John, David, Nancy & Martha
  • Abraham Lafayette b. 1795, d. 1880 md. Anna Justice, children: Rebecca, Rufus, Harriet, Lucretia, Abraham & Isaac
  • Martin b. 1798, d. 1871 md. Sarah Martha Painter 1827, children: Anna, Susannah, Belzy, Mary, Sarah, Martha, Jacob, Samuel, John Thomas, Henry & William
John md. (--?--), deserted with the British Army
Mary

Revised 2/12/2020

No comments: