Thursday, July 9, 2020

Ahnentafel #874 - Caspar Johnson

Caspar Johnson

Born: ca. 1720 Germantown, Pennsylvania
Died: 1806 Bucks Co., Pennsylvania

Buried: Richland Friends Meeting Burial Ground, Quakertown, Bucks Co., PA

Married: ca. 1741 Catherine (--?--) in Pennsylvania
2nd wife Mary (--?--) before 1800

Occupation: yeoman farmer

Biography: Casper Johnson, the ancestor of the Johnson family of Richland and Quakertown, was of Holland descent and was born in or near Germantown about the year 1720. He was a son of John Johnson or Jansen of Germantown, and possibly a grandson of Claus Jansen, one of the early settlers of Germantown who about 1708 located in Skippack Township, then part of a large section known as Bebber's Township. Casper Johnson was living in Upper Dublin Township, Philadelphia County, in 1761, when he purchased a tract of 253 acres in Richland, one mile north of Quakertown borough, part of the Joseph Gilbert Tract of 1000 acres, lying between the tract of Everard Roberts on the south and Theophilus Foulke on the north. It fronted on the road "from the Great Swamp Meeting House to Durham Furnace" and extended eastward about one and a quarter miles, being divided at the eastern end by the Tohickon Creek. It appears, however, that Casper Johnson did not at once settle on the tract as he was still a resident of Upper Dublin Township June 13, 1769 when with his wife Catharine, he joined with his brothers Nicholas, Benjamin, Joseph & William in the conveyance of his father's real estate in Germantown. The place of residence of his brother Benjamin and Jane his wife is given in this deed as Bucks County, and it is possible that the latter was living on the plantation in Richland during the interval between 1761 and 1770.

Casper Johnson took up his residence on the plantation soon after the date of the above deed and resided there until his death in 1806; at least part of the said plantation has been owned and occupied by his descendants until quite recent years.  He also owned a plantation of 109 acres in Skippack which by his will he devised to his son Joseph. It was possibly part of the tract conveyed by Claus Johnson to his son John in 1732. Casper married first, about 1741 Catherine [Morse]. She was a legatee in the will of John Morse, "Schoolmaster," of Philadelphia County, dated June 22, 1766, but no relationship is mentioned. He married second, Mary (--?--) who survived him. His children were probably all by his first wife who is shown by John Morse's will to have been living in 1766. 

Records:
1754 - Richland Twp., Bucks Co., PA - plat map - shows Casper Johnson property.

1778 - July 17 - Richland Twp., Bucks Co., PA - Casper Johnson took the oath of allegiance on the same day as John Grove & Philip Fox, Sr. 

1779 - Richland Twp., Bucks Co., PA - Tax list:
  • Casper Johnson, 250 acres, 2 horses, 12 cattle, 2700, 300, 600 valuations to be added, £3600.34.2 to be paid
  • Casper Johnson Junr. 0 acres, 2 horses, 3 cattle, 300, 150 valuations to be added, £450.10.12
  • Joseph Johnson 0 acres, 2 horses, 3 cattle, 200, 150 valuations to be added, £350.3.5 to be paid
1790 - Bucks Co., PA - Census - Two Casper Johnson families are listed, not sure which is Junior or Senior.  Also probable that Casper Johnson is living with his son Casper Jr. as he leaves him his plantation where Casper Jr. has buildings.  The second Casper could be a grandson. 

Casper Johnson family
  • 3 males under 16
  • 3 males over 16 - Casper
  • 3 females
Casper Johnson family
  • 4 males under 16
  • 1 male over 16 - Casper
  • 4 females
1797 - Richland Twp., Bucks Co., PA - Tax list:
  • Casper Johnson Jun'r. 67 acres, $6 value of acres, 2 horses, 8 cattle, 402, 40, 72 valuations to be added, 514 total valuation, $4.62 to be paid
  • Casper Johnson 250 acres, $6.67 value of acres, 1 horse, 6 cattle, 1667, 16, 48 valuations to be added, 1731 total valuation, $15.57 to be paid
  • Henry Johnson 166 acres, $6 value of acres, 1 horse, 9 cattle, 996, 20, 81 valuations to be added, 1097 total valuation, $9.87 to be paid
  • Benjamin Johnson 0 acres, 1 horse, 9 cattle, 20, 81 valuations to be added, 101 total valuation, $0.90 to be paid
1798 - Richland Twp., Bucks Co., PA - Tax list:
  • 72 Casper Johnson occupant/possessor, Casper Johnson owner, land lies in Richland Township, Bucks County, 0 dwellings, 0 acres exempted from valuation, 249 acres subject to valuation, $3434.00 valuation
  • 73 Casper Johnson Junr. occupant/possessor, Casper Johnson Junr. owner, land lies in Richland Township, Bucks County, 0 dwellings, 0 acres exempted from valuation, 66 acres subject to valuation, $840 valuation
  • 74 Henry Johnson occupant/possessor, Henry Johnson owner, land lies in Richland Township, Bucks County, 0 dwellings, 0 acres exempted from valuation, 160 acres, $2020.00 valuation
1800 - March 18 - Bucks Co., PA - Caspar wrote his will:

I Casper Johnson of Richland Township Bucks County State of Pennsylvania yeoman Do make and put in writing this my Last Will & Testament in manner following

Item It is my will and I do order & direct that all my just debts & funeral Expenses be carefully paid and discharged.

Item I give & bequeath unto my beloved Wife Mary her choice of my Beds bedding & bedsteds, a chest two chairs table spining [sic] wheel & reel (?) and as much of the Kitchen furniture as may be necessary for her own use and a milch cow she to have her choice of my cows and three pounds of Gold or silver money to be delivered & paid to her within month after my decease to be at her own disposial [sic] forever and the herein after mentioned Priveledges & provisions to be procured for her by my son Benjamin & by my Executors hereinafter named

Item I give and devise unto my son Casper fifty acres of Land at the cost and of my Plantation wherein his Buildings now stands to be surveyed of on a strait line from Everard Roberts's land unto Joseph Himmelwrights on a parrallel line with the east end of my said Plantation together with all & singular the buildings improvements & appurtenances whatsoever thereto belonging to hold to him my said son Casper his heirs & assigns forever

Item I give & devise unto my son Joseph all that plantation whereon he now lives situate in Skippack, Montgomery County containing one hundred and nine acres of Land be it more or less together with all and singular the buildings Improvements & appurtenances thereto belonging to hold unto him my said son Joseph his heirs & assigns forever

Item I give & devise unto my son Benjamin all the remainder of my Plantation whereon I now live [which is not herein before given to my son Casper] Together with all and singular the Buildings Improvements & appurtenances thereon to belonging to hold unto him my said son Benjamin his heirs & assigns forever he provideing as is hereinafter directed for my beloved wife and paying the sum of eight hundred pounds gold or silver money unto my Executors herein after named as follows one hundred pounds within one year after my decease and one hundred pounds at the end of two years after my decease and one hundred & seven pounds at the end of three years after my decease and one hundred pounds at the end of four years after my decease and one hundred pounds at the end of five years after my decease & ninety three pounds at the end of six years after my decease & one hundred pounds at the end of seven years after my decease and one hundred pounds at the end of eight years after my decease and to give unto my beloved Wife the use of one room and Kitchen in my house and as much of the Garden as may be necessary for her own use for and during the term she remains my Widow and to keep her a cow as his own are kept and to give her three bushels of wheat five bushels of ry two bushels of Indian corn and three bushels of buckwheat all to be taken to mill and fetched home to her and a sufficiency of apples for her use if the orchard should bear yearly & every year during the term she continues my Widow and to find her a sufficiency of firewood ready hault and cut at the door during said time and give her yearly an every year one hundred weight of good Merchantable pork & fifty pounds of Beef of like quality yearly and fifteen pounds of clean sevingled(?) flax and three pounds of wool yearly and every year during the time she continues my widow and to provide her a horse when she has occation [occasion] to ride from home and to give her as many eggs as she may want for her own use during said time

Item It is my will & I do order & direct my Executors hereinafter named to put one hundred pounds out upon use and pay the same Interest quarterly unto my beloved Wife during the time she remains my widow

Item I give and bequeathe unto my son Casper his heirs & assigns the sum of two hundred pounds one hundred thereof at the end of four years after my decease & the remainder at the end of seven years after my decease over and above the fifty acres already mentioned

Item I give and bequeathe unto my son Henry his heirs & assigns three hundred and ninety three pounds in the following portion one hundred at the end of one year after my decease and one hundred at the end of two years after my decease & ninety three pounds at the end of six years after my decease & one hundred pounds thereof at the end of eight years after my decease also two hundred & seven pound I have given him already towards purchasing the plantation whereon he now lives

Item I give & bequeathe unto my daughter Christina wife of Edward Burk her heirs & assigns Eighty two pounds twelve shillings & six pence at the end of three years after my decease over and above what I have already given her

Item I give & bequeath unto my daughter Elizabeth widow of Charles Hinkle her heirs & assigns fifty pounds thirteen shillings at the end of three years after my decease above what I have already given her

Item I give & bequeathe unto my daughter Mary wife of Phillip Hinkle her heirs & assigns one hundred pounds to be paid unto her at the end of five years after my decease

Item It is my will & I do order and direct my Exec. herein after named to pay the foregoing Legacies as is severally directed in the several Bequests in gold or silver money

Item It is my will and I do order my Executors herein after named to Expose to publick sale all my moveable property which is not herein before bequeathed Except my Clock which I desire may remain for the use of my beloved Wife during widowhood and after all my just debs are paid and a sufficiency to make up what is wanting of the above mention Legacies the remainder with what ever other moneys I may have shall be equally divided between my three sons Casper, Henry and Benjamin or their heirs and assigns

Item It is my will & I do give the one hundred pounds which I have directed to be put on use for my beloved wife after her decease together with what the clock will fetch unto my three sons Casper, Henry and Benjamin or their Heirs & assigns to be equally divided. 

Lastly I do nominate constitute & appoint my two sons Henry & Benjamin my Executors of this my last will & Testament hereby revoking all former wills by me made & ratifying this and no other to be my last will & Testament

In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the eighteenth day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred 

Casper his C mark Johnson {Seal}

Signed sealed published and declared by the Testator to be his last Will and Testament in the presence of Everard Foulk, John Beidler, Johannes Herwick(?) [looks like a German or Dutch name]

1806 - April 21 - Bucks Co., PA - Caspar's will probated:

Before me appeared John Bidler, Everard Foulk and John Herwick the subscribing witnesses to the within Instrument of writing purporting to be the Last Will & Testament of Casper Johnson dec'd. and on their solemn affirmations did declare and say, that they were personally present at the Execution thereof, and saw and heard the Testator therein named sign seal publish and pronounce the same as and for his last Will and Testament and that at the time of so doing he was of sound mind memory & understanding to the best of their Knowledge & belief.   Wm. Hart, Reg'r. 

Be it remembered that on the 21st day of April AD 1806 The within written last Will & Testament of Casper Johnson dec'd. was duly proved according to Law, when Letters Testamentary were given to Henry Johnson and Benjamin Johnson Executors in said Testament named they having first been solemnly affirmed well and truly administer the goods chattels and credits of said deceased & in one month from this date to Exhibit into the register's office of said county a true Inventory & consionable appraisement thereof & in one year or when thereto Lawfully required under a just account of their whole administration In Testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal of said office day and year abovesaid

Registered April 21st 1806 - Wm. Hart, Reg'r. 

Children:
Christiana md. Edward Burk
Mary b. ca. 1743, d. 1827 md. 1759 Philip Hinkle (son of Jacob & Anna Margareta (--?--) Hinkle)
  • Margaret md. Samuel Beek, said to have had three children
  • Charles B. b. ?, d. 1819 md. Ann Kile/Kyle, said to have had seven children
  • Casper b. 1762, d. 1850 md. Mary Kile/Kyle (sister of Ann above), children: Ann, Anthony, Casper, Charles and two others
  • Elizabeth b. 1767, d. 1851
  • Joseph b. 1760 d. 1821
  • Catherine b. 1764, d. 1801 md. Joseph Richards, no known children
  • Joseph b. 1765, d. 1821 md. 1) 1793 Ann Marshall, 2) Elizabeth Mease, children: William, Elizabeth, Philip
  • Mary b. 1769, md. Jacob Hollowbush 1814
  • Philip b. 1771, d. 1825 md. Sarah Geiger, children: Levi, Philip, Elijah, Harriet, Maria, Eliza, Franklin, three infants
  • Barbara b. 1773 md. William Groves/Gross had a daughter
  • Anthony b. 1777, d. 1815 md. Elizabeth Hughes 1800, they had eight children, Caroline
  • Nancy Ann b. 1800, d. 1858 never married
Caspar b. ca. 1753, d. 1832 md. ca. 1775 Deborah Adamson
  • Catherine b. 1776 md. Hugh Foulke
  • Thomas b. 1778
  • Mary b. 1780, d. 1827 md. Thomas Strawn
  • John b. 1782
  • Ann b. 1785, d. 1886 md. James Griffith
  • James b. 1787, d. 1870 md. Anna Strawn
  • Charles b. 1790, d. 1879 md. Esther Raudenbush Strawn, children: Hampton Watson, Mary Ann, Oliver James & Anna Maria
  • Henry b. 1793
  • Casper b. 1796, d. 1876 md. Catherine Frederick, at least one son Charles Frederick
  • Joel b. 1799, d. 1876
Joseph b. 1755, d. 1824 md. Kineoth Kinnieth Gotwals
  • Catharina b. 1775, d. 1837
  • Abraham b. 1779, d. 1856
  • Joseph b. 1782, d. 1844 md. Magdalena Brachthauser, children: William, Abraham, Kenyett, Joseph, Elizabeth, Catherine, Susan
Benjamin b. ca. 1762, d. 1837 md. 1788 Abigail Roberts
  • Samuel b. 1789, d. 1817 md. Margaret Roberts, children: David R. & Abigail
  • Casper R. b. 1791, d. 1825 md. Mary Gibson, children: Gibson, Joseph & Milton
  • David b. 1793, d. 1862 md. Susanna Foulke
  • Elizabeth b. 1797, d. ca. 1877 md. Samuel Foulke, children: Clayton, Joseph, Abigail & Jesse
  • Joseph b. 1799
  • Anthony b. 1802, d. 1891 md. 1826 Elizabeth Foulke, children: Ann F., Henry F. & Mary J.
  • Mary b. 1805, d. 1868 md. 1829 Andrew Ambler, children: Joseph Mather, Benjamin Johnson, Isaac Ellis, Edward Henry, David Johnson, Lewis Jones, Evan Jones, Andrew & Mary J. 
  • Benjamin b. 1808, d. 1849 md. Tacy L. Stawn, children: William, Matilda Ann, Clayton F., Eli S., Evan R. 
Henry b. ca. 1764 d. ca. 1811 md. Hannah (--?--)
  • Anthony 
  • William b. 1785
  • Benjamin b. 1787
  • Jane b. 1790
  • Sarah b. 1793
  • Lydia b. 1795, d. ca. 1846
  • Guy b. 1796
  • Hannah b. 1798 md. Henry Segan
  • Henry b. 1799

No comments: