Saturday, November 9, 2019

Ahnentafel #722 - Jonas Wood

Jonas Wood

Born: unknown
Died: 1745 Elizabeth, Essex Co., New Jersey

Buried: unknown

Married: Mary Morse

Records:
1726/27 - March 16 - Elizabeth, Essex Co., NJ - Jonas mentioned in his father-in-law's will as husband of Mary. Their children listed in the will are Ann, Phebe, Samuel & Jeremiah.  

1745 - April 1 - Elizabeth, Essex Co., NJ - Jonas wrote his will:
In the name of God Amen the first day of April in the eighteenth year of His majesty's reign King George the Second & Annoq: Donomi One thousand Seven hundred and forty five I Jonas Wood of the Borrough of Elizabeth in the County of Essex and Province of East New Jersey Planter being weak and infirm of Body but through devine goodness of perfect and sound mind and memory thanks be given to Allmighty God therefore calling to mind the mortality of my Body knowing it is apointed for man once to die do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament that is to say Principally and first of all I Give and
recommend my Soul and Spirit into the hands of Almighty God that gave it and for my Body I recommend it to the Earth to be Buried in a Christian and decent like manner at the discretion of my Executors and as touching such worldly Estate wherewith it hath pleased almighty God to bless me with in this life I Give Devise and dispose of the land in the way manner and form following
Imprimis I do Order that all my just Debts and funeral Expences be well and trully paid out of my Personal Estate. 
Item I Give and bequeath unto my Son Samuel Wood during his natural life and to the lawfull heirs of his Body for ever all that part of my Homestead Plantation lying in the said Borough of Elizabeth with all the Houses buildings and Erections with all other the appurtances thereto belonging together with the Salt Meadows to the same belonging Bounded North East by Peach (?) Garden brook, South Easterly by Thompsons Creek South west and Northwest by the Highway unto my son Samuel Wood and to his Heirs forever. 
Item I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Anna Clark the wife of James Clarke during her natural life and to the Heirs of her Body forever all that part of my Lands which I bought of Jacob Headfield and John Tooker which lyeth ajoyning to Land heretofore given her and Bounded Westerly by the Same South westerly by the Highway South East by Isaac Headfield northerly by sd James Clarks Land also Ten acres of Land lying on the other side of sd Highway ajoyning to the Land of John Oliver lying square of South Easterly from the Land of said Oliver Bounded North Eastly by sd Highway Southwesterly by Recompense Stanbery South Easterly by the Land herein after bequeathed unto my Daughter Sarah Wood Togeather with all the Appurtances to sd two Tracts belonging unto the said Anna Clark my Daughter and to the Heirs of her Body for ever. 
Item I Give and Bequeathe unto my Daughter Phebe Terrill the wife of Ephraim Terrill Junior and to her Heirs and assigns for ever. All that Tract of Land which I have heretofore bought of sd Ephraim Terrill Bounded northerly by Jonathan Woodruff and the own Land of sd Terrill and Easterly by sd Ephraim Terrill Westerly by John Terrill Togeather with all the Appurtonances unto the sd Phoebe Terrill my Daughter and to her Heirs and assigns for Ever.
Item I Give and bequeath unto my Daughter Margaret Wood during her natural life and to the Heirs of Her Body for ever All that Tract of Land which I purchased of John Tooker Bounded North East by the Highway South East and South West by Land of Joseph Tooker Jun'r:  North Westerly by Isaac Headfield and a Draft way Also Ten Acres of Salt Meadows lying in Raway Meadows which I purchased of Joseph Hariman ajoyning to Thompsons Creek Bounded North by sd Creek Southwest by Meadows herein after given to my Brother Joseph Wood Togeather with all the apurtenances unto the sd Land and Meadows bleonging unto the sd Margaret Wood my Daughter and to the Heirs of Her Body for Ever. 
Item I Give and bequeath unto my Daughter Sarah Wood during her natural life and to the Heirs of her Body for Ever. All that remain'g part of my Land which I bought of Jacob Headfield ajoyning on the South Easterly side of the Land herein above given to my Daughter Anna Clark Bounded North East by the Highway Easterly by John Oliver Southwesterly by the Westbrook and Recompense Stanbery with all the appurtenances thereto belonging unto my sd Daughter Sarah Wood and to the Heirs of her Body for Ever. 
Item I Give and bequeath unto my Brother Joseph Wood and to his Heirs and assigns for Ever that Lott of Salt Meadows ajoyning to the Meadows herein above bequeathed to my Daughter Margaret Wood Bounded North East by the same lying for five acres. 
Item I Give and bequeath unto John Wood the Son of my Brother John Wood Deceased and to his Heirs and assigns for ever All that Tract of Land lying between two Tracts of Land formerly belonging to my Brother John Wood Deceased. Bounded Easterly by Mephibeshoth Marsh West by Daniel Marsh lying for Six acres & half or thereabouts Togeather with all the appurtenances unto the said John Wood and to his Heirs and assigns for Ever.  
Item I Give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Mary after my funeral Expenses and my just Debts are well and truly paid out of my parsonal Estate the one third part of my Parsonal Estate also one third part of the Profits of my Lands also the best Room in my now Dwelling House during her natural life. 
Item I Give & bequeath unto my Daughter Phebe Terrill the wife of Ephraim Terrill the Sum of fifty pounds. 
Item I Give and bequeath unto my Daughter Margaret Wood the Sum of thirty pounds.
Item I Give and bequeath unto my Daughter Sarah Wood the Sum of twenty pounds And my Will is that if either of my two youngest Daughters Margaret or Sarah should hapen to Die without lawfull Issue then the Survior [survivor] shall have the Legacies both of Lands and Moveables to them above bequeathed. 
Item after al[l] my just Debts funeral expenses and the above bequeathed Legacys are well and truly paid as above sd that all the rest and remainder of all my Parsonal or moveable Estate be equally Divided amongst my five Children namely Anna Clark, Phebe Terrill, Samuel Wood, Margaret Wood and Sarah Wood part and part share equal and alike.
Item I do ordain and apoint my Brother Joseph Wood and Charles Tooker to be my Sole Executors in this my last Will & Testament And I do hereby revoke disawill and make void all other Wills and Testaments by me in any ways heretofore made ratifiing and Conferring this and not other to be my last Will and Testament In witness whereof I have hereunto Set my hand and Seal the day & year first above written. 
Jonas his X mark Wood {Seal}
Signed Sealed published pronounced by sd. Jonas Wood to be his last will and Testament in the Presence of us the Subscribers, John Baker, Israel Tylor, John Terrill
1745 - April 23 - Jonas' will was probated.  
Be it remembered that on the twenty third day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand Seven hundred and forty five. John Baker, Israel Tyler and John Terrill the within witnesses personally caem before me Thomas Barlow duly authorized to Prove Wills and Qualify Executors in the Eastern Division of New Jersey and they being duly Sworn on the holy Evangelists did Depose that they were present and Saw Jonas Wood the Testator within named Sign and Seal the within written Instrument and heard him publish pronounce and declare the same to be his last Will and Testament and that at the doing thereof the said Testator was of Sound mind and memory to the best of their knowledge and understanding and that they each Signed as a Witness in the Testator's presence. 
Thos. Barlow
Be it als Remembered that at the Same time Joseph Wood and Charles Tooker the Executors within named Personally came before me and were Sworn to the due Execution and performance of the within will and Testament according to Law.
Thos: Barlow
By his Excellency Lewis Morris Esqr. Captains General and Governor in Chief in and over His Majesty's Province of New Jersey and Territories thereon depending in America and Vice Admiral in the Land &c. To all to whom these Presents shall come(?) Greeting Know ye that at Perth Amboy on the twenty third day of April in the year of our Lord One thousand Seventeen and forty five the last Will and Testament of Jonas Wood late of the Borough of Elizabeth & Planter Deceased was Proved before Thomas Barlow who was thereunto duly Authorised and appointed for that purpose and it now appeared and allowed of by us(?)  He the said Deceased having while he lived and at the time of his Death Goods Rights and Credits in divers places within this Province by means whereof the full disposition of all & singular the goods rights and Credits of the Said Deceased and the Granting Administration of them also the hearing of account calculation or reckoning and the final discharge and dismission from the same unto me ---- and not unto any other inferior judge are manifestly herein to belong and the Administrations of all and Singular the Goods Rights and Credits of the said Deceased and his last Will and Testament in any manner of way con----- and Granted unto Joseph Wood and Charles Tooker the Executors in the said Testament named Chiefly of well and truly performing the said will and of making a true and perfect Inventory of all and regular the Goods Rights and Credits of the said Deceased and Exhibiting the Same unto the Registry of the Prerogative Court in the Scretarys Ofice at Perth Amboy and of sending a just and true account when thereunto lawfully required being duly Sworn on the holy Evangelists In Testimony whereof ------ Caused the Prerogative Seal of the Said Province to be affixed at [Perth] Amboy in the year of our Lord one thousand Seven hundred and forty five. 
Thos: Barlow Reg:
Note page 270 the word (the) oblit'd in Recording Same by Thos: Marlow
Children:
Samuel b. before 1727
Anne b. ca. 1710
Phebe b. 1719, d. 1762 md. Ephraim Terrill
  • Catharine b. 1753, d. 1834 md. 1) David Craig & 2) John Marsh, child: John Marsh
Margaret b. 1729, d. 11812 md. ca. 1749 1) Recompense Stanbery as his 2nd wife & 2) John Darby, Sr.  
  • Phebe Stanbery b. 1748/49, d. 1806 md. Jedidiah Swan
  • Rhoda Stanbery b. 1752, d. 1831 md. 1) Amos Swan & 2) Thomas Nesbitt, children: Phebe Swan, Margaret Swan
  • Samuel Stanbery b. 1754, d. 1823 md. (--?--) children: Samuel, Joseph, Patience, Mary, Moses
  • Sarah Stanbery b. 1756, d. 1817 md. Peter Trembly
  • Recompense Stanbery b. 1758, d. 1839 md. 1) Sarah Chetwood 1780, 2) Sarah Miller 1786, 3) Charity Steel 1815, 4) Ann Currey 1820, children: Sarah Chetwood, Recompence, James Miller, William Currey
  • Jonas Stanbery b. 1761, d. 1840 md. 1) Frances Winans & 2) Ann Lucy McCready, children: Jonas, William, Catharine Elizabeth, Ann Lucy, Henry, Edward, Charles, Howard
  • Margaret Stanbery b 1763, d. 1855 md. Joseph Bradford
  • Anna / Nancy Stanbery b. 1767, d. 1839 md. John Darby Jr., children: Jacob, Recompense, Catharine, John, Aaron, Joseph
  • Jacob Stanbery b. 1772, d. 1821 md. Elizabeth Stanbery(?) was her maiden name Stanbery?
Sarah
Jeremiah b. before 1727

Revised 1/20/2024

No comments: