Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Research Log - 200 Years Ago

1816
January
3 - Charles Sneed md. Katherine Dove in Pulaski Co., KY
8 - Abraham Colclasure born Indiana son of John & Rachel (Galbraith) Colclasure 
15 - Richard Hocker born in Lincoln Co., KY son of Joseph & Elizabeth (Dunn) Hocker
29 - Johnson Fitzgerald bought 160 acres of land Gibson Co., IN

February
4 - Eliza Fitzgerald born in Gibson Co., IN daughter of Johnson & Margaret (Eyers) Fitzgerald
28 - Leap Day
March
26 - Philip Porter wrote his will in Muskingum Co., Ohio

In the Name of God Amen, I Philip Porter of Muskingum County and State of Ohio Being Weak in Body but sound in mind and memory make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and form following to wit:  I give and devise unto my son Henry Porter the whole of the northwest quarter of Section No. eight in township No. two and Range No. eight to him his heirs and assigns for ever.  I further give and devise untio my daughter Elizabeth Woodard the whole of the south east quarter of section no. seven in township two and range eight to her and her heirs and assigns for ever.  I also give and devise unto my daughter Mary Porter the part which I now own of the North east Quarter of section No. seven of township two and range eight Also the East half of Lot No. thirty-seven in Quarter No,. one in township No. two in Range No. eight to her and her heirs and assigns forever.  I also desire that my daughter Mary should have the use of one half the cleared land in Elizabeth's part for the term of ten years.  I also desire that my beloved wife Catherine Porter shall have the ___ half of the third part of each child's part during her natural life and as for my personal property I give and bequeath it in manner and form following to wit:  first I give and bequeath unto my daughter Mary one white cow and calf and one black cow with a white stripe along her back and one ewe and two lambs and one bed and bedding and one Dozen pewter plates and one pewter dish and after my just debts and funeral expenses are paid I give and bequeath the rest residue and remainder of my property of what kind and nature s____ it be unto my beloved wife Catharine and my son Henry.  I hereby ordain and appoint my beloved wife Catherine sole executor of this my last will and testament hereby revoking and making void all will heretofore by me made ratifying and confirming this to be my last will and testament.  In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and caused my seal to be affixed this 26th day of March one thousand eight hundred and sixteen.

Philip Porter - his mark

Signed sealed ______ pronounced and Delivered by the said Philip Porter to be his last will and testament in the  presence of us

Henry Butler
James McGee
Charles Blunt

26 - Philip Porter's heirs sold the east half of lot no. 37 in Quarter No. 1 in Township No. 2 of Range No. 8 to John Cullens
28 - Philena Janes born Richford, VT daughter of Ira & Precinda (Wright) Janes

April
1 - David Robertson bought 320 acres for $160 from Clarina Backus in Gallia Co., Ohio
3 - Philip Porter died in Muskingum Co., Ohio
10 - 2nd Bank of U.S. chartered
17 - William Lewis md. Susan Colclasure in Orange Co., IN

May 
11 - John Gentle born Washington Co., IN son of William & Elizabeth (Shepherd) Gentle

June
1 - Rachel Patten md. Philip Hocker in Ohio Co., KY
6 - 10 inches of snow fell in New England during the year without summer, caused by the eruption of Mount Tambora in Indonesia

July 
13 - Jonathan Janes died in St. Albans, VT, buried in Greenwood Cemetery

August
E. Remington & Sons founded
1 - Lewis Watkins md. Susanna Morehead in Muhlenberg Co., KY
16 - Ann Porter md. Henry Baughman in Baltimore, MD
19 - Elton Wolfe born, son of Henry & Louisa (Grigsby) Wolfe
29 - George Chrisman died

September
17 - John Powell born Richford, VT son of John & Aurelia (Fassett) Powell

October 
1 - Philip Porter's estate inventory entered in Muskingum Co., OH
9 - Lucy Henry born Hopkins Co., KY daughter of Joseph & Lucy (Shumate) Henry
16 - Albert Janes born Richford, VT son of Daniel & Mary (Powell) Janes
November
2 - Nancy Hollway md. William Fitzgerald in Posey Co., IN
4 - William Evans md. Rebecca Durall in Muhlenberg Co., KY

December
4 - James Monroe elected the 5th president
11 - Indiana becomes the 19th state

Sometime in 1816
Elizabeth (--?--) Morgan died ca. 1816 in Kentucky 
(--?--) Galbreath md. Elizabeth (--?--) ca. 1816
Samuel Speer born ca. 1816 son of John & Mary (Russell) Speer
Elizabeth (Easley) Maulding born ca. 1816 in Tennessee
Frances Sneed born 1816 in Kentucky daughter of Charles & Katherine (Dove) Sneed
Henry Porter attended Richard McCann's school in Muskingum Co., Ohio
William Humphries md. Mary Fitzgerald
Jesse Jones md. Martha Durall in Muhlenberg Co., KY
Francis Durall born, son of David & Susanna (--?--) Durall
Brice Robertson born Ohio son of David & Mary (Henry) Robertson
Hannah (Edmondson) Parrish born in Tennessee
Julia Hocker born Lincoln Co., KY daughter of George & Nancy (Hocker) Hocker
Catherine Beasley born daughter of Isham & Judith (Coomer) Beasley
Margaret (Campbell) Williamson born in South Carolina
Jonathan Hunt born in Fleming Co., KY son of Absalom & Mary (Rawlings) Hunt
Mary Hunt born, daughter of Absalom & Hester (Foster) Hunt
Jane (Graham) Metcalf born

No comments: